8 Must-Read Books for Pinterest Lovers
In this digital age, DIY blogs and Pinterest have become a mecca for creative inspiration. But human beings are analog at heart, which is why we sometimes crave turning the pages of a beautifully photographed craft book. Whether you’re looking to buy the perfect gift for an artistic friend or add a new title to your collection, the following maker books do not disappoint.
1. Happy Handmade Home by Elsie Larson and Emma Chapman ($17): Sisters Elsie and Emma are the masterminds behind the stunning DIY blog, A Beautiful Mess. Like their website, the book features gorgeous photos of creative home and lifestyle projects powered by tiny budgets, doable steps and a fun, boho sensibility.
2. Creative Lettering and Beyond by Gabri Joy Kirkendall, Laura Lavender, Julie Manwaring and Shauna Lynn Panczyszyn ($15): If you’d like to improve your handwriting (or would just like to graduate beyond chicken scratch), this book is filled with inspirational advice and tutorials from professional hand letterers and calligraphers. Now you, too, can produce handwritten works of art.
3. Pattern Play by Brit + Co ($10): In the mood for a DIY book that helps you relax? Look no further than this 78-page interactive book filled with unique, modern and hand-drawn illustrations for you to color — inside or outside the lines.
4. Lotta Jansdotter’s Everyday Style: Key Pieces to Sew + Accessories, Styling, and Inspiration by Lotta Jansdotter ($20): Sewing can be complicated. This book isn’t. World-renowned designer Lotta Jansdotter has a true gift for writing easy-to-follow tutorials to make sophisticated and functional outfits and accessories.
5. Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People by Amy Sedaris ($13): Comedian Amy Sedaris tries her hand at creative homemaking in this hilarious book filled with wacky household crafts and recipes, including crepe-paper moccasins, crab-claw roach clips and creative candle salad. While you may not necessarily want to make these DIY projects, you’ll love reading about them.
6. Craftivity by Tsia Carson ($18): Boasting teaching stints at Yale and the Rhode Island School of Design, designer Tsia Carson is a legend in the DIY world. You can even find her work in places like Urban Outfitters. If you’re looking to infuse a bit of hipster personality into standard crafts, this book is your holy grail.
7. Encyclopedia of Crafts by Martha Stewart ($25): All hail, Queen Martha! The ultimate purveyor of “good things” delivers just that in this creative tome dedicated to creative DIY. Organized by topic from A to Z, the book includes detailed instructions and tips for more than 30 projects including botanical pressing, decoupage and wreaths.
8. Homemakers by Brit Morin ($23): Our founder Brit Morin wrote this “domestic handbook for the digital generation” to be one-part DIY resource and one-part creative exploration. If you’re a modern woman who is tech savvy, career minded and artistically inclined, this is the book for you.
Which of these DIY books is on your reading list? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Getty)