DIY This Easy Free People Crop Top and Bring on the Summer Vibes
We’re officially entering June, and that means summertime is around the corner! Can you believe it’s already time to scout Pinterest for your next travel destination and make some essential summer purchases? One of our very fave trends of the season is crop tops. We recently made a no-sew wrapped crop top and a Coachella-inspired crop top. So today we thought it was time to try a DIY copycat. Fun, right? Our inspiration comes from Free People, where we spotted this Lou Lou Layering Cami ($38), AKA the perfect colorful piece to wear all summer long, which we made using an old cardigan.
Materials and Tools:
– old cardigan
– crop top
– tailor’s chalk
– fabric scissors
– fabric glue
1. Lay your crop top over the cardigan and use it as a template to draw the bottom edge.
2. Draw the neckline as well.
3. Use your scissors to cut out along the blue lines. Then repeat following the arm lines.
4. Fold over the bottom edge and iron.
5. Fold over the top edges and iron.
6. Turn the cardigan inside out and use fabric glue to hem the edges.
7. Let the glue dry and turn the crop top right side out.
Lay your crop top over the cami and use it as a template to draw the outline of your top. Use the tailor’s chalk to trace a line along the bottom of the crop top, then trace the neckline. Cut following the lines you just traced. Next cut out the arms.
At this point, fold under the bottom edge and iron to keep it in place. Then repeat with the top edge and the arm lines. Turn the cardigan inside out and use fabric glue to hem the fabric. Finally, when the glue is dry, turn the crop top right side out. Voilà, you’re good to go!
It’s easier to pretend that I’m already on vacation dancing by the pool with this crop top on!
Harlie, my kitty cat, wanted to join the fun as well!
If you try this DIY, be sure to show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!