10 Plant-Based Snacks from Whole Foods to Keep You Full on Earth Day
Earth Day has definitely become a buzzword, but let’s not forget that there are *serious* implications behind it. Earth Day is meant to raise awareness about climate change and environmental degradation, which are really about as serious as it gets. One easy way to cut down on your personal carbon footprint, of course, is to eat less meat — and, more specifically, red meat. According to a recent report published by the National Resources Defense Council, the raising and selling of beef generates a carbon emissions factor of 26.45 kilogram equivalents of carbon dioxide, while chicken recipes are only going to cost you 5.05 kilogram equivalents and potatoes only 1.44. There’s no time like the present to try going vegetarian, if only for a day or two a week. Here are 10 of our favorite Meatless Monday finds from Whole Foods to inspire you.
1. Engine 2 Plant-Strong Apple Pumpkin Granola: Engine 2 makes all-natural, veg-friendly products that are completely free of animal ingredients, added oils, artificial sweeteners, and generally unhealthy stuff. We particularly love this apple-pumpkin granola. Enjoy it with almond milk for a tasty start to your day.
2. 365 Everyday Value Organic Dark Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Chewy Granola Bar: Nothing quite beats a good granola bar. They’re ideal for snacking on when you’re on-the-go or a nice stand-in for a quick weekday breakfast. And these particular granola bars happen to be completely vegan, certified organic, and made with healthy whole grains.
3. Engine 2 Plant-Strong Sweet Potato and Cinnamon Popped Crisps: Sweet potato is an uber-healthy carb that is easy on the digestive system. Instead of regular fried potato chips, pop these delicious and healthy crisps on Earth Day.
4. 365 Everyday Value Organic Dill Pickle Potato Chips: Dill pickle chips are the new salt-and-vinegar chips. These organic and naturally flavored chips are the perfect snack for when you need a li’l somethin’ salty.
5. Engine 2 Plant-Strong Pinto Habanero Plant Burger: Like we said, beef is probably the worst possible choice you can make when it comes to the health of the planet. Obviously though, we’re not going to swear off burgers forever… and that’s why these gluten-free pinto bean-based burgers are so incredibly fabulous.
6. Engine 2 Plant-Strong Sprouted Ancient Grains Burger Buns: Sure, burger buns don’t traditionally contain meat themselves anyway, but why not look for the healthiest possible option? These completely delish buns are made with high-protein quinoa, sprouted wheat, barley, millet, spelt, and sprouted lentils, among other healthful ingredients.
7. Engine 2 Plant-Strong Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus: Hummus is a FANTASTIC source of vegan protein and healthy fat, which is one of the reasons why we put it on *literally* everything. The other reason? It’s freakin’ delicious.
8. 365 Everyday Value Organic Saltine Crackers: Saltines are a *total* classic. You can spread them with jalapeño-cilantro hummus, cream cheese, peanut butter, or any other spread of your choice. They’re also great for solo snacking, particularly during Netflix marathons.
9. Whole Foods Market Vegetable Potstickers: For a tasty lunch or dinner option, turn to these veggie-stuffed potstickers. Not only are they a delicious and warming comfort food, but they’re also super healthy, made with bok choy, rolled oats, cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, and carrots.
10. 365 Everyday Value Organic Sourdough Nugget Pretzels: We’re going to be real for a sec: Sourdough pretzels are THE BEST pretzels. And these vegan, organic pretzels made with wheat, barley, and salt are one of our favorite sourdough pretzel options out there.
Follow us on Pinterest for more Meatless Monday inspiration and meal ideas!