Everyone has a go-to afternoon snack, and for most of us, it’s probably hummus. Thankfully, hummus recipes have come a long way from the standard chickpea-and-tahini preparation (hello, peanut butter funfetti dessert hummus!). Now, you can pretty much use any bean or vegetable you like, and the flavor combinations are endless. These 17 unique hummus recipes have loads of toppings and out-of-the-ordinary bases that will leave you wishing you’d known about them sooner. Whip up some tasty dessert hummus while you check out these recipes that put a unique spin on your favorite dip.
1. Avocado Hummus With Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Verde: If you’re a fan of guacamole (who isn’t?), you need to try this hearty hummus recipe. All it takes is a quick rinse of your food processor between the tomatillo salsa and hummus and you’re ready to scoop. (via The Mediterranean Dish)
2. Oil-Free Barbecue White Bean Hummus: Want all the flavor of greasy BBQ wings without all the fat? Of course you do! This white bean hummus has an incredible depth of flavor thanks to all the ingredients you would typically find in barbecue sauce. (via The Vegan 8)
3. Carrot Hummus: As if hummus wasn’t healthy enough already, this preparation has loads of roasted carrots and protein-filled peanut butter. Top with toasted peanuts and chipotle chilies for a unique Thai-inspired take on the dish. (via Bon Appétit)
4. Carrot, Walnut and Red Lentil Hummus: Red lentils replace chickpeas in this clean powerhouse dip. If you try spreading it on a slice of rye bread, you definitely won’t be sorry. (via Blissful Basil)
5. Cheesy Margarita Pizza Hummus With Grilled Pesto Pizza Bread: This is a bold statement, but this hummus may be better than actual pizza. It’s smothered with rich roasted tomatoes, mozzarella and Parmesan, then served with herby pizza crust wedges. Sigh... (via Half Baked Harvest)
6. Creamy Beet Hummus With Yogurt: Beets pack a nutritious punch and provide the most beautiful hue to whatever they touch. If you don’t think you like beets, try them in this hummus along with yogurt, tahini and spices. Your opinion will be forever changed — trust us. (via Fox and Briar)
7. Creamy Edamame and Pea Hummus: Salty edamame is your snack of choice at your favorite sushi restaurant, so you know you’re going to LOVE this dip. Peas add an extra sweetness and bit of green to the hummus, and it’s a great way to use up that last little bit in the freezer. (via Just a Taste)
8. Jalapeño Apricot Lentil Hummus: You’ll flip for the sweet and spicy balance of this lentil hummus. It’s hearty enough to be a meal in itself, but it makes a fabulous starter for a classy dinner party. (via Country Cleaver)
9. Roasted Corn and Jalapeño Hummus: Mexican food lovers, we found your hummus. Roasted corn adds a smokey sweetness both inside and on top of this spicy spread. Try serving with salty pretzels or tortilla chips instead of pita. (via A Balance of Tastes)
12. Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus: Take advantage of your fall farmers’ market bounty and make a boat load of this butternut squash hummus. The sweet and savory harmony is perfect spread on a sandwich with whole wheat bread. (via The Healthy Maven)
14. Sriracha Lime White Bean Hummus: Some like it hot! For those who live for that subtle mouth burn, this Sriracha hummus will test your boundaries. Cool it down a bit by scooping it on a sweet plantain chip. (via Kim’s Cravings)
15. Summer Fruit Salsa and Pesto Hummus: The best things come from stepping out of your comfort zone. For example, the deliciousness that comes from combining fresh berries, pesto and hummus. YUM. (via Half Baked Harvest)
16. Super Green Goddess Hummus: Edamame, avocado and fresh herbs are responsible for the green of this goddess hummus. Pour a large helping of olive oil on top and snack away with toasted pita chips. (via Hapa Nom Nom)
17. White Bean and Basil Hummus: Sometimes, simplicity is key in the snack world. Small changes like swapping in white beans for the chickpeas makes the hummus extra silky. Finish it off with a drizzle of basil oil and devour with all the crudité. (via Delish Knowledge)
Follow us on Pinterest for more fun snack recipes.