If this year’s goals include creating a garden of your own, consider making it an earth-friendly one. After all, there’s no better way to promote better plant vibes than by pleasing the gal in charge of it all: Mother Nature! The good news is that it only takes a few simple swaps to the soil you’re using, the pots you’re growing in, and the tools you’re working with to stay green while you let your garden grow. We’ve listed some of the best options around below — consider it our small way of celebrating Earth Day. Happy planting!
1. Bellingham The Bamboo Gardener Work Gloves ($10): This sustainable pair, made entirely from bamboo rayon, is perfect for green thumbs of all kinds.
2. CobraHead Original Weeder & Cultivator Garden Hand Tool ($25): When the weeds start showing their heads, grab for this tool. It’s durable recycled plastic handle is comfortable for you, and the forged steel blade shows flowerbed invaders no mercy.
3. Glad Compostable OdorShield Quick-Tie Small Trash Bags ($15): Keep your garden waste clean! These bags will keep everything contained, and they’re biodegradable AND certified compostable.
4. Black Duck Brand Biodegradable Bamboo Fiber Planters ($10): Give your bulbs some indoor-outdoor flexibility with these cute, biodegradable planters.
5. JPSOR Biodegradable Nursery Plant Bags ($10): When transplanting your seedlings from A to B, go with something that won’t have a negative effect on the ground. The non-weave material is approved to stay in the soil, so no removal needed (huge win).
6. Clovers Garden Fiber Seed Starter Biodegradable Pots ($30): If you’re starting a ton of seeds, these tiny pots will do just the trick. They’re made from a biodegradable coconut fiber that helps to retain water and prevent mold to help out the li’l seedling as it grows.
7. Soil Moist Granules ($20): If your water usage is your #1 concern, these soil-saving granules will become your new gardening BFF. When combined with soil, these nuggets swell when they’re hit with water to steadily hydrate the plant, even as the soil goes dry. Translation? You’ll cut your watering in HALF.
8. Nature’s Blossom Heirloom Salad Seed Starter Kit ($30): This complete starter kit comes with all the goodies you need to grow your own salad. Bonus: The kit includes organic seeds and biodegradable pots to keep your practice completely eco-friendly.
9. EcoScraps Organic All Purpose Plant Food ($8): Keep your produce well-fed, starting with the soil. This all-organic feed has everything you need to keep your greens well-nourished for the entire season ahead.
10. Forest City Modemmo 26-Gallon Rain Barrel ($80): Conserve water by making a rain barrel part of your outdoor routine. This one is equipped to hold as much as 26 gallons of runoff, so you can keep that hose off for days on end.
11. Rebel Gardens Organic Vegetable Seeds ($16): Consider this your all-in-one set for getting that garden started. All 13 packages of seeds are certified organic and non-GMO, so you can feel proud of every radish, cucumber, and cherry tomato you grow.
12. Picnic at Ascot Eco Gardening Tote With Tools ($40-$47): This cute tote is made of PVC-free, environmentally safe fabric and holds three handy gardening gadgets inside to keep you in an eco-conscious state of mind.
13. Plastec Aqua Flower ($10): Extend the life of your potted glories with these “drain florals.” Their recycled fibers work to keep water and other nutrients from flowing out of the open slot in the bottom of the pot. And they look pretty darn cute too.
Do you love gardening? Tweet us a pic of your plants @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.