5 Fall Shoe Trends We’re Kinda Sorta Obsessing Over
If you hadn’t noticed, we’re a little shoe obsessed, and this season there’s no shortage of show-stopping options to feed the frenzy (ladies, brace yourselves — and your wallets). Between the runway, the streets and your go-to Insta feeds, the shoe-spo is REAL, and having already curated an enviable arsenal of outerwear, statement jewelry and It-girl-approved bags, the next item on your fall checklist is most definitely a pair (or three) of trend-right shoes. But not just any old pair of steppers will do — this season’s bounty is bringing plenty of ‘tude to the table, with over-the-top buckles, ultra soft velvet and bold embroidery lending classic ankle boots and menswear-inspired styles a note of street-style sass. Besides giving your #OOTD a major boost, the five footwear trends below are guaranteed to earn you a place of prestige among your squad.
1. Free People Moody Mule ($148): One word: Gimme. Between the subtle snakeskin detail and burgundy suede upper, these chunky-heeled beauts leave little to be desired. From dinner dates to latte runs, they have all of your autumnal outings covered — just add a printed jumpsuit, longline duster and statement ear jackets for a look that stuns both day and night.
2. Zara Striped Stiletto Heel Mules ($70): This pair of sassy steppers will flip the script on your new-season style. Jazzing up sophisticated suits and injecting distressed denim with endless panache are just two of the things these Insta-worthy mules can do. For a GNO look that nails it, team these striped stilettos with belted trousers, a silk cami and a statement choker.
3. Jeffrey Campbell Beaton Tapestry Heel ($130): To say we’re obsessed with these tapestry-printed shoes would be an understatement. Kick off the new season in style by swapping a pair of tried-and-true trainers in for these flowery numbers, sassing up your weekend uniform with shimmery socks and an It girl-approved turtleneck and silk cami combo for Saturday morning brunch or a screening at an upcoming film fest.
Statement Ankle Boots
4. & Other Stories Night Fever Boots ($195): Day or night, these quicksilver steppers know what’s up. Send a bad case of the mid-week blahs packing by putting these at the forefront of your on-the-job ensemble. Team ’em with a bow-neck blouse, pleated midi skirt and a smart topknot and you’ll be well on your way to achieving best-dressed status — HR can’t fault that.
5. Mango Snake Effect Ankle Boots ($80): So much sass. There are certain occasions that call for duds with serious ‘tude, and these scene-stealing snakeskin boots will certainly see you through. Just watch as your confidence kicks into overdrive the second you slip these bad boys on. All that’s missing is a siren red pout and bold minimalist baubles.
6. Sam Edelman Campbell Floral Jacquard Block Heel Booties ($160): Your wildest dreams realized? Yup — these jacquard ankle boots are that good. Whether you consider yourself a bohemian goddess (these stunners are prime for festival season) or a bonafide man repeller, the bright embroidery and classic silhouette of these bold boots are what your closet has been missing. For a timeless look that transcends trends, pop them on with an oversized button-down, dark wash denim and a suede trench.
7. Mango Buckle Ankle Boots ($150): For serious RN style, look to the past. Retro-future boots with this much style must be shown off, and we can think of no better time and place than anytime, anywhere. Show ’em off with leggy mini skirts or mod shift dresses paired with bell-sleeved blouses that let the boots’ throwback vibes shine.
8. Michael Michael Kors Polka Dot Velvet Sneakers ($241): When your standard Stan Smiths start to read meh, enlist these dramatic velvet kicks to breathe new life into your weekend uniform. As if the two-tone velvet upper wasn’t enough, these beauties bring their style A-game to every #OOTD with shimmery polka dot embellishments that catch the light. Who says you need a date with the dance floor to get your glitter on?
9. Zara Velvet High Heel Shoes ($60): Classic black pumps aren’t the only route to polish. Case in point: these icy blue bombshells that are equal parts modern elegance and throwback cool. Ditch the expected choker and do ’90s-inspired style your way, pairing these square-toed heels with mom jeans, a band tee and an oversized knit for weekend shenanigans or a low-key dinner date.
10. Urban Outfitters Presley Velvet Ankle Boot ($98): Don’t even try to deny the appeal of these flowery kicks. Calling to mind the golden days of yesteryear (filled with Lisa Frank stickers and Hanson CDs — or maybe that was just us?), these velvet boots just might inspire you to rock a Winona-inspired outfit on your next night out, complete with don’t-care hair, dramatic lipstick and a biker jacket.
11. Zara Contrast Straps Ballerinas ($50): Nope — these aren’t your average ballet flats. While you might not be able to drop bank on the iconic Miu Miu kicks cropping up on the industry’s most fashionable feet, these statement-making steppers are most definitely the next best thing. Between the satin bows and grommet-studded straps, they strike the ultimate balance of feminine elegance and girlboss edge.
12. Chiara Ferragni Jackie Ballerinas ($300): Shine on, you crazy diamond. Part ways with your standard pumps on your next night out and embrace these glitter-tastic ballerinas instead. Between the Mary Jane-style silhouette, endless shimmer and Ferragni’s stylish stamp of approval, there are plenty of reasons to scoop up these scene-stealers stat. Our favorite way to wear them? With laid-back basics for a next-level off-duty look.
13. ASOS Laguna Pointed Ballet Flats ($36): If the exotic material doesn’t catch your attention, then the bold buckle certainly will. These snakeskin flats will give you the extra oomph your #OOTD needs, minus the fuss and the frills. They’re sensible enough for your morning commute or a night of bar hopping with your besties, but statement-making enough to bust out for a special occasion. Play up their cool-girl ‘tude by styling them with leather-look trousers, a boxy sweater and structured sac for the win.
14. Free People Iris Suede Mid Boot ($298): A tasting at that swanky new wine bar? The braided detail and platform sole on these stunners will lend serious personality to a floral maxi or dark wash skinny jeans. All that’s missing is a killer pair of drop earrings and a leather jacket for an after-hours-approved look.
15. Zara Split Suede High Heel Boots ($159): Autumn is synonymous with vibrant foliage, crisp afternoons and Insta-worthy boots that call to mind trips to the orchard and hot apple cider. Dress these tassel-trimmed stompers up with a button-front skirt, high-neck bodysuit and cozy poncho for a getup that’s guaranteed to garner attention.
16. Charles & Keith Calf Boots ($79): Hello, wear-everywhere boots that can do no wrong. These mid-calf boots are this close to achieving closet MVP status, especially with a bell-sleeve tunic in tow. You could even toss them on with a cable knit sweater dress and still look like a bonafide fashion goddess.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.