Street Style Roundup: 11 Layering Looks to Try This Fall
We’ve all been there. You’ve spent your entire wardrobe budget on pretty frocks and skirts, and now that summer is over you’re wondering how these beauties are going to transition to fall. Raise the sartorial bar with the dress-over-pants look (or D.O.P. for short). Rest assured, this looks nothing like the ‘90s babydoll tunic and bootcut jean look. The new modern way to pull of a D.O.P. is decidedly more streamlined and sophisticated. And, it isn’t tough to master at all.
Emma Watson may have brought the D.O.P. idea back to the masses this past awards season, but these 11 fashionable ladies were rocking the look long before the fashion-forward actress. This is one layering trick we’re going to dig. Check out our tips for getting the look!
1. Casually Cool: A sweater dress over jeans is proof that a statement piece (or two) can amp up any old look. One tip to keep in mind when rocking skinnies underneath a heavy dress and coat combo is keep them as skin-tight as possible. Love those leopard heels ($281)? We thought so! (via Maja WYH)
2. Sophisticated Layering: Nothing is worse than making a 45-minute commute in a pencil skirt and heels, and it’s even worse when it’s blistering cold. We love this office-appropriate layering trick — a simple, straight-cut dress over slim pants. The silk scarf ($11) and striped blouse add a funky twist. Trés chic! (via StyleSight)
3. Edgy Princess: While this D.O.P. has nothing to do with utility, you’ll no doubt get attention from street style shutterbugs in a wispy look (even if you are shivering). The man-repelling Leandra adds a punch of drama to an otherwise boring outfit with layered tulle and two-tone tap shoes. Want to steal her look? Try this dramatic dotted mesh slip ($148). (via Elle)
4. Pretty in Pink: Not only do leather pants add a dose of badass to a super girly getup, but they allow you to wear that too-short-to-be-worn-alone babydoll dress. We’re totally into how this editor mixes her prints. Copy her sugar-and-spice style with a striped mini ($70). (via The Pisces Woman)
5. The Mix Master: Who says duck boots have to be frumpy? Take a cue from Taylor Tomasi Hill, the crimson-haired editor-turned-florist, in this winter-ready outfit. She’s a pro when it comes to mixing flashy accessories like this glam gold plated belt ($20) with everyday staples like this oversized plaid shirt ($128). (via Gastro Chic)
6. Wrap It Up: This look tops our must-try list. It allows us to re-wear an elegant wrap dress in a more casual way. Simply layer your favorite wrap maxi dress ($595) over your sexiest cigarette jeans and tuck or knot the front of the dress. What you’ll get is a high-low look that is dramatic and minimalist all at the same time! (via Radar Magazine)
7. Towering Florals: Alone, the classic shift dress is a safe workwear bet. Layered over a floral-centric pair of flares ($196) and killer platform shoes, it quickly becomes a fashion photographer’s dream come true. (via Harper’s Bazaar)
8. Toughen Up: Take your fit ‘n’ flare dress from Sunday brunch to the city streets in a flash with this easy-to-style look. Just throw on a your raddest pair of pastel heels ($298) and light-wash skinnies to keep the look breezy and feminine. (via PopSugar)
9. Cocktail Hour: Got a fancy-occasion dress you never thought you’d be able to wear again? Dress it down by pairing it with same-tone jeans, a cropped moto jacket ($61) and the the tallest chunky platforms you can handle á la the oh-so-stylish Aimee Song. We’ll be even more impressed if you try this with your wedding gown! (via The Pisces Woman)
10. Speaking Volumes: It may seem counterintuitive, but boxy separates can make for one sleek look. Case in point: This tent dress ($212) and distressed boyfriend jeans look. The key thing to remember is to keep accessories and the color palette to a minimum to avoid coming off overdone. (via FashnChips)
11. Easy Does It: Sometimes the simplest look is best, as is the case with this classic sweater dress ($188) over leather pants. The leather gives this look a little extra oomph compared to regular jeans. Plus, it’s the perfect fuss-free cold-weather outfit for running errands. (via Peace, Love, Shae)
So, what’s the verdict? Is this a street style trend you’re dying to try this fall? Or is the D.O.P. look totally cuckoo? Tell us in the comments!