15 Creative First Dates You Should Try This Summer
First dates are all about making a good first impression and igniting that initial spark. When tasked with picking a spot for a date, you want a location with great vibes and an activity that allows for a free flow of conversation. Instead of going to your local chain to meet up for drinks, try something exciting and unexpected. Scroll on for 15 creative date ideas that are fun and memorable.
1. Check Out Your Local Farmers’ Market: Meet up for a coffee beforehand and head over to a farmers’ market to check out the produce (and each other). If the date goes well, you can share a meal later that week with some of the goodies you picked up. (Photo via J Wiley)
2. Take a Cooking Class: What’s more romantic than an evening of flirting and consuming delicious food? Even if the date fizzles, you’ll have learned how to make an amazing new dish.
3. Volunteer Together: Get to know their compassionate side by spending an afternoon volunteering at an animal shelter, handing out meals at a food bank or spending time at a home for the elderly. (Photo via Money Crashers)
4. Act like a Tourist: Is there a tourist attraction in your town that you’ve never been to? Explore it together, and you’ll be sure to learn a lot about each other and your town. Cheesy tourist pictures are optional, but strongly encouraged. (Photo via Meghan Andrews Photography)
5. Movies in the Park: Check your city’s listings for movies in the park, and invite your crush. Bring a picnic dinner and turn it into a fun twist on a traditional dinner-and-a-movie date.
6. Take a Brewery Tour: Many breweries offer behind-the-scenes tours of their manufacturing process, along with a tasting at the end. It’s a low-key date and educational. We have a sneaking suspicion your date will be bragging to their buddies about this one.
7. Triathlon Date: No, we’re not suggesting you run, bike and swim (unless you really want to). The idea behind this date is to pick three activities to do together. For example: Meet up for a morning hike, head to lunch and then grab a drink. (Photo via Ben Haisch)
10. Brunch: Have a favorite brunch spot? Meet up with your date and play 20 questions over eggs Benedict. (Photo via Anneli Marinovich)
11. Bring Half a Date: You plan one half, and they plan the other half. The element of surprise adds a sweet twist to your first date. (Photo via Fotos by Fola)
12. Take a Coffee Walk: Instead of sitting at a coffee shop, order your favorite drinks to go and take a walk around a park. It will give you an opportunity to enjoy a beautiful spring day. (Photo via Mia Jade Weddings)
13. Have a Five-Course Dinner at Different Places: Order an appetizer, soup, main dish, dessert and coffee at a different restaurant each time. Take turns picking spots, and you’ll get to try all those places you’ve been dying to visit, plus discover one or two new ones along the way.
14. Visit a New Neighborhood: Does your city have a historic district or pedestrian mall you’ve been dying to check out? Plan an afternoon exploring this new-to-you part of the city. You’ll get bonus points if you pick up some cheesy tourist souvenirs. (via @twotrends)
15. Visit an Obscure Museum: Spend an afternoon learning about something you know nothing about. Whether it’s cryptozoology, bad art or SPAM, there’s a museum for every first date. (via @officials_c_)
Where is your favorite spot for a first date? Hit us up in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.