Starting with your first shoebox out of college and all the way through to the place you’ve called home for a few years now, we’re willing to bet you’ve been living with a mix of inherited, thrifted, and budget furniture. But do you really have everything you need for a real adult setup? These 15 finds are pieces you should definitely buy, but may not have thought to in the haze of growing pains.
1. Anthropologie Geo-Marquetry Armoire ($1398): Dressers and closets are basic necessities, but an actual armoire is something everyone should own. Use it to store linens or a home for those special pieces.
2. Biltmore Vanity Set ($204): It’s time to put a sense of occasion back into your beauty routine. Vanities are useful for storing all your makeup necessities, helping to clear up clutter in the bathroom.
3. Deny Designs Floral Bench ($199): Benches fit into almost any space in your home, but they make an even better option for your bedroom. Place it at the end of your bed or next to your closet for a shoe station.
4. Mark And Graham Butler Tray ($131): This foldaway piece provides storage when needed but stashes nicely when you don’t.
5. CB2 Bar Cabinet ($1299): A cocktail station that can be neatly tucked away into a cabinet should be a staple in every home. It will prevent dust on your bottles and glassware while also keeping them safe from wagging tails and little hands.
6. Mod-ish Vortex Side Chairs ($300, set of two): It’s time to ditch those inherited dining room chairs for something a little sleeker. Pick some up that complement your current color scheme.
7. Castillo End Table ($72): If you don’t already own a C-table, you’ve been missing out. These space-saving gems can be used as end tables or brought around to hover above your lap while you work.
8. Tatin Velvet Ottoman ($345): A stylish ottoman can be used to put your feet up or as an extra seat in a pinch. You could even put a small tray on top for your morning cup of joe.
9. World Market Walnut Console Table ($175): With a slim profile and the height to match your couch, a console table offers an extra surface for lamps, decor, and beverages.
10. Urban Outfitters Perforated Storage Unit ($98): Above-toilet storage systems aren’t exactly stylish, and hiding your toiletries may not be practical. This metal shelving tower makes the most of the situation.
11. Love Joy Create Laundry Basket ($98): A pretty hamper makes collecting all your dirty clothes and linens a more organized (and colorful) affair.
12. Serena & Lily Teak Towel Ladder ($348): No one wants to share a towel rod or mess around with hooks and holes in drywall. A leaning ladder solves all your bathroom problems.
13. Wayfair Wood Step Stool ($279): A step stool is always a good idea. Buy it and store it — you’ll be glad you have it when you need it.
14. Domino Caspar Bar Stool ($79): Extra kitchen seating is a must if you’re always cooking, chopping, and baking. Add a few to your chopping block area or built-in bar.
15. IKEA STENSTORP Rolling Island ($149): The answer to your MasterChef prayers is a rolling kitchen island with a built-in cutting board. Keep it tucked away, or place it center stage for extra prep space.
Show us your must-haves by tagging us on Instagram + using hashtag #iamcreative!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.