Get the Look: 10 Ways to Recreate Ab Fab’s Iconic Style
Way before Blair and Serena made their way onto our TV screens, there was another BFF duo that delighted us with their over-the-top fashion and reckless shenanigans. That’s right, we’re talking about Edina and Patsy from the British sitcom Absolutely Fabulous. These designer-obsessed, hard-partying, hilarious ladies are back for Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie. While the show did provide a satirical take on the fashion industry, that didn’t make the style any less amazing. From next-level cutouts to trend-right athleisure pieces, scroll through for some of Edina and Patsy’s iconic looks, along with 10 shoppable items that will have you looking absolutely faaaaabulous, darling, just in time for the movie release on July 22.
(Photo via Women’s Wear Daily)
1. Forever 21 Leopard Faux Fur Coat ($86): A boxy silhouette, shorter length and faux fur make this coat much more 2016-appropriate than the original. Take a cue from Edina and style this with a pair of classic black pants to make your topper the star of the show.
2. Shashi Riyaz Clutch ($95): No Edina outfit is complete without a colorful bag. And lucky for us, pom-pom-adorned accessories are huge for the summer. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns like a pro.
Cutouts and Head Scarves
(Photo via Jack Barnes/BBC)
3. Ali & Jay Cutout Cold Shoulder Ponte Dress ($108): While Edina’s look is all about bright colors and prints, Patsy’s is more streamlined and monochromatic. Of course, she would rock cutouts and the cold-shoulder trend before any of us. This dress is perfect for an endless GNO filled with hijinks and mishaps.
4. Namrata Joshipura Lucia Headband ($40): Hats and head scarves were totally Edina’s jam. Take all the trouble out of trying to perfectly tie a scarf by snagging this headband-scarf combo that comes tied and ready to go. Don’t forget to pair this with loads of turquoise jewelry and a flask.
(Photo via Marie Claire UK)
5. Adidas Originals 3 Stripes Legging ($35): Edina’s striped joggers are completely in line with today’s athleisure trend. Black and white sneaks are so RN for running away from the paps. This is just further proof that the Ab Fab ladies have always been on top of the fashion game.
6. PHENIX Short Brim Wool Fedora ($75): If there’s one lesson we learned from Edina, it’s that a hat can totally transform your look. A bowler hat may seem a little dated, so swapping it out for a wool fedora keeps the look more modern.
All-White Power Suit
(Photo via Marie Claire UK)
7. Missguided Structured Cape Blazer ($40): Patsy could always work a pantsuit like nobody’s business. A cape-style blazer is a cool twist on the original, but still gives you the crisp lines of her signature white suit. Grab this if you’re a girl boss getting ready to take over the industry.
8. Quay Australia Kitti Glasses ($50): When you party as hard as these two ladies, sunglasses are a must. This black cat-eye pair is one Patsy would totally approve of. They’re great for masking hangovers and hiding a rolled eye or two.
(Photo via Jay Brooks/BBC)
9. Boohoo Alisha Metallic Leather Look MA1 Bomber ($44): Alright, so maybe the head-to-toe gold vibe isn’t for everyone. You can still snag inspo from this look by incorporating just one metallic piece into your outfit, like a gold bomber jacket. Rock it with a side bun and a major ‘tude to honor the ladies of Ab Fab.
10. Cole Haan ZEROGRAND Wingtip Oxford ($230): Metallic sneakers are the perfect way to recreate Edina’s gold lace-up boots, but with a modern, effortless upgrade. These Cole Haan Oxford-style sneaks are also lightweight and super comfy. Style with a printed silk slip dress for a look that’s fit for a fashion insider.
Are you excited for the new Ab Fab movie? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)