How to Find the Perfect Glasses for Your Face Shape
Clear eyes, new frames, can’t lose. Well, unless you’re stuck with frames that don’t feel or look like, well, you. Your fall fashion is on point, your beauty game is always next-level and you’ve gotten styling your tresses practically down to a science — so don’t let yourself settle for glasses that are just okay. Your specs can totally transform a look and show off your personality in a way that no other accessory can. Get the scoop on exactly which eyeglasses will slay on your face shape with this handy guide.
Round faces, like that of the lovely Sarah Hyland, have full cheeks and are often considered to be the most youthful of all the face shapes, making them the perfect canvas for strong, angular styles. Find frames with wide, oversized lenses that keep the nose pads off the cheeks. Looking for an uber unique look? Circle-shaped ladies can pull off frames with a slight upsweep at the corners particularly well. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
1. Fetch Eyewear Henry ($125): This style is all about geometry. Its square shape is a perfect complement to rounder facial features, while the tortoise pattern goes with practically any OOTD you choose.
2. Warby Parker Laurel (Starts at $95): If you’re into more circular frames, this wide and bubbly pick is the perfect blend of round and square silos. And this brilliant shade of emerald is EVERYTHING.
FACE SHAPE: OVAL
Oval face shapes, like Jessica Alba’s, have high cheekbones (jealous!) and a jawline that’s subtly curved. Square and rectangular frames will add a nice contrast to your curved lines. But above all, keep scale top of mind when you hunt for your perfect pair. An oval’s biggest downfall is a frame that is too small or too big, which can offset the natural balance of the face. Look for bolder, thicker frames with symmetrically sized top and bottom halves. (Photo via Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty)
3. Fetch Eyewear Riley ($125): These are giving us major Mad Men vibes in the best way ever. A bolder, thicker frame like this will pop on oval faces without overwhelming them. Take your classic, tried-and-true colorway to the next level with a not-so-subtle gradient detail.
4. Tory Burch TY2064 ($93): This option is a total classic! Sharp angles and an understated tortoiseshell color? We’re so in.
FACE SHAPE: SQUARE
Lucky you — and Emily Deschanel — your broad forehead, strong jaw and square chin give you plenty of flexibility with fashionable frames. No matter which style you go with, look for frames that focus on your browline and even out your jaw. Square faces can go with oblong or rounded silos to contrast your angular features. Or if you prefer the look of rectangular frames, opt for a pair with rounded edges. (Photo via Mark Davis/Getty)
5. Warby Parker Percey (from $95): The rounded detail of these glasses contrasts those of us with square features beautifully, and this deep crimson adds a total wow factor that reads more trendsetter than Sally Jesse.
6. Fetch Eyewear Dash ($125): This seamless blend of rectangular and round style is a total dream for square faces. The browline on this option is an ideal fit for those with higher arches.
FACE SHAPE: HEART
Heart-shaped faces typically have a broad forehead that gently tapers to a smaller chin, a la Halle Berry. Um, hello gorgeous. Heart shapes also tend to have standout cheekbones and downward angles following the contour of the face. You’ll need a frame that balances the varying widths of your face. Look for frames wider than your forehead in lighter colors. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Coastal Love L767 ($65): These delicate specs are grandma chic in all the right ways. They taper ever so slightly both at the top and bottom of the bridge to highlight the contours of a heart-shaped face.
8. Rowley Eyewear No. 39 (Starts at $99): This vintage-inspired round frame will add a dose of prep to your everyday look. Its generous width works to even out heart-shaped faces and balance out proportions. On another note, we are obsessed with the military green hue with a subtle horn finish. Yes, please!
Need more fashion in your life? Visit us on Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)