3 Half-Up Bridesmaid Hairdos That Even YOU Can Do
We’re firm believers that some wedding traditions don’t hold up at modern nuptials, especially ones concerning YOU, bridesmaids! And while most babes in any given bridal party have largely axed the main offender — matching dresses on every girl — there’s another wedding rule we’d like to give all bridesmaids permission to break, and it’s that you need a professional blowout on the big day.
Real talk: You just don’t. Save the hassle of the trek to the salon (that bridal up-sell is going to slash your beauty budget anyway, girl!), and DIY your altar-ready hairdo, no matter what your strands skill level. Whether you’re a whiz with a curling iron and can of aerosol or you just learned how to set a bobby pin, we’ve got a chic half-up hairstyle that you can *actually* complete on your bestie’s wedding day. So toss on your kimono — it’s time to style yourself out!
1. Pick up a 1.5-2-inch section of hair from the front-side portion of your head and add a heat-protecting spray like Kenra Platinum Hot Spray ($20).
Advanced: Pomp + Pin Curls
2. Now curl the same section with whatever size barrel curling iron you prefer.
3. Remove the curling iron and pin the curl into place with a duckbill clip.
4. Keep going until your entire head is covered in curlers. Let your curls set for a good 30 minutes to help them last longer.
5. Remove all the clips.
6. Run your fingers through your hair to smooth out and shape your curls.
7. Now back comb the crown of your hair.
8. Gently smooth the top down without loosing all the volume you just worked in.
9. Separate the two sides of your hair and create a pomp with the back section of your hair. Secure the pomp with bobby pins.
10. Twist back the front sections of your hair toward the back of your head and secure with bobby pins. Repeat on the other side of your head.
11. To finish, pick up the ends of the hair that you pinned back and create small pin curls. Secure with bobby pins.
12. Once you’ve made enough pin curls to cover up the bobby pins, give your hair a quick spray with your favorite hairspray, we love Kenra 25 ($45 for a two-pack).
This look is all about the details, and those extra special steps like taking the time to set your curls and creating finishing-touch pin curls helped build a beyond-polished hairdo. This vintage-inspired look is super fancy, perfect for formal weddings or the easiest way to dress up your shorter hemline.
1. Flat iron all of your hair.
Intermediate: Straight Twisted Crown
2. Pick up a piece of hair from one side of your head, just a little behind your ear, and twist it toward the back center of your head.
3. Secure the twisted strand with a couple bobby pins.
4. Repeat on the opposite side of your head and secure it on the other side so that both twisted strands cross over one another.
5. Keep twisting loose ends of the pinned strands, crossing them over one another and pinning them in place to create a crown effect.
While the twisted crown makes your mane look ethereal without weighing it down like a traditional crown braid would, it’s no secret that you’re long, pin-straight hair is the star of this half-up hairdo. This sweet look would surely soften any modern silhouettes or look darling paired with a fit-and-flare. Just get ready for your locks to ROCK at the reception!
1. To give your hair some extra texture, add some waves throughout your hair with a curling iron.
Easy: Wavy Back Braid
2. Scrunch the curls to mess them up a little.
3. Braid one side of your hair and pin in place with a bobby pin.
4. Gently pull apart the braid for a loser finish.
5. Braid and loosen the other side.
6. Weave pieces of hair into the braides to help disguise the pins and add a little more texture.
Feeling pretty savvy about DIY hairstyling after acing that easy tutorial, huh bridesmaid? That’s just where we want you — and you should be totally pumped. Did you ever think a basic braid could take on such a boho-glam vibe with this little effort? Make this easy hairstyle your go-to for outdoor weddings — those waves will look even more gorg when they’re *actually* windswept.
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.