Watch Out Subway Tile, Herringbone Might Be the Coolest New Tile Trend
Sorry, subway tile, but we’re just not that into you anymore. Well, that’s not entirely true, but the herringbone tile trend is taking over Pinterest and it’s a completely awesome look for any bathroom or kitchen. Depending on scale, the tile design works in a variety of spaces — kitchen backsplashes, bathroom walls, even entire floors. So maybe it’s time to replace that subway or mosaic tile with something more graphic. Pair herringbone tiles with colorful cabinetry for a playful look, or go more modern with a mix of gray tiles in a luxe marble kitchen. The options are endless. Here are 17 stunning spaces that’ll show you how to bring style and pizzazz into your space with this trendy pattern.
1. Glam Bathroom Backsplash: Marble countertops in the bathroom can be magnets for stains (yes, like that purple hair dye), so it makes sense to keep your love of marble contained to the backsplash. Use a small marble tile to create a striking accent wall that really makes those green mirrors pop. (via HGTV)
2. Rustic Gray: Now that you know how gorg herringbone tile is, it’s obvious you need it in your life, like, yesterday. If you’re looking for a more rustic vibe, skip the grout altogether and use a rough gray tile to get a cleaner, more minimal look. (via Style at Home)
3. Modern Glam: This white tiled kitchen combines rustic open shelves with modern white cabinets, giving it an edgy urban look. If you’re feeling extra bold, cover the entire wall with tile for a visually stunning aesthetic. Are you sold yet? (via Adore Magazine)
4. Softly Sage: Give your kitchen major cool factor with a herringbone patterned tile wall. A tropical color like sage green goes great with light cabinets and open shelving full of white dishes. (via Bailey McCarthy)
5. Wall to Ceiling: Okay, this one might not be the most practical, but who doesn’t dream of a completely tiled, spa-like space? Here, the sparing use of coral pink and mustard yellow tiles create a stunning visual effect, while a marble sink and clawfoot tub keep the look fresh and feminine. (via Not a Paper House)
6. Black and Chic: Much like subway tile, the herringbone pattern looks downright stunning when paired with marble. These white tiles are both clean and slightly edgy, offering a great backdrop for all your Instgrammable #iwokeuplikethis mornings. (via Adore Magazine)
7. Industrial Accents: A glass enclosed shower is the perf way to show off a stunning herringbone tile wall. Add a little rustic-chic style with brass hardware, wood beams and some open plumbing to give your bathroom a totally unique vibe. (via Residence)
View this post on Instagram
What are your thoughts on a bench seat in the shower? On a gloomy day like today, it looks pretty inviting! This great space features in our current March issue, but you can check out all the sleek details of the bathroom renovation via the link in our profile. Photography by @annarobinsonphotos. Design by Corinna Musgrave of @hunterandivy. Build by @constra_design_and_construct.
A post shared by Inside Out (@insideoutmag) on
8. Mini Accent Wall: Not all accent tile has to be a huge statement. A walk-in shower featuring a large white herringbone tile pattern with gray grout is chic and modern, but far from boring.
9. BoldContrast: Complement a bold black grout herringbone accent wall with rustic wooden shelves reinforced with brass brackets. This refreshing take maintains the elegance of a black and white color scheme, yet still manages to bring in a modern update. (via Hunted Interior)
10. Monochromatic Bliss: Who says a backsplash can’t take up an entire wall? If you’re looking for a way to really make a statement in your bathroom, a floor-to-ceiling herringbone tile pattern can make any space look and feel unique. (via Sarah Sherman Samuel)
View this post on Instagram
The time has finally come for you to join all of us #OnTheBlog for a fun spring link party!! There's so much amazing inspiration going on here that I can't even😱. Start by linking through my bio to check out my Spring Home Tour and then at the bottom of my post you'll find 13 other talented bloggers to link to for more spring tips, ideas, and inspiration. Can't wait for you to join us over there🌷. Each lady is tagged in photo and mentioned here👇 Erin @erin_sunnysideup Tamara @citrineliving Mollie @designlovesdetail Shauna @thehouseofsilverlining Summer @sheleavesalittlesparkle Randi @randigarrettdesign Jennifer @decorgold Tana @yourmarketingbff Kelley @kelleynan Laila @designsbylaila Jeanne @jeannecampanadesign Amy @crazychicdesign Janet @shabbyfufu @liketoknow.it www.liketk.it/2iJKn #liketkit
A post shared by ZDesign At Home✨Bree (@zdesignathome) on
11. Teeny Tiles: You’ll never go back to subway tiles after seeing this monochromatic beauty. The tiny gray tiles and minimal grout have a modern feel that gives this kitchen space a timeless beauty. It’s so gorg with white cabinetry and pastel blue dishware.
12. Pretty Preppy Powder Room: Balance out an extremely bold wallpaper pattern with a chic herringbone tile in the powder room. Seal the deal with matte gold hardware, a gold mirror and pops of pink for a *V* chic bathroom that will make you think you’ve been transported straight to Paris. (via The Decor Detective)
13. Subtle Pattern: Smaller kitchens will definitely benefit from an accent wall that takes advantage of higher ceilings. Pair light tiles with white cabinets and dark wood floors for a fresh and elegant vibe. Herringbone tiles are a great alternative to more traditional tile patterns and the shorter size like this one can really add some personality to any sized kitchen. (via Design Sponge)
View this post on Instagram
Hey, everybody! The next airing of my House Hunters Renovation show will be this Monday, Feb 8th at 11am on the east and west coast (10am central). Set your dvrs! And see how we arrived at this lovely light and bright kitchen for a fabulous family in Culver City. Click photo for sources. 📷 cred: @meghanbob #hgtv #househuntersrenovation #myonepiece #breezegprojectspast #breezegiannasiointeriors
A post shared by Breeze Giannasio (@breezegiannasio) on
14. Shades of Gray: Light gray looks stunning with a dark grout and white cabinets. Marble countertops, gold hardware and a farmhouse sink work together to create the kitchen of your Pinterest dreams. So crisp and clean, this kitchen feels like a breath of fresh air.
15. Gorgeous Greens: You’ll feel like you’re on vacay every day with a kitchen decked out in these lush green tiles. White floors and light wood cabinets give this kitchen a polished feel. This look is so pretty, there’s no doubt you’ll want to take a tip from this glam space and continue your backsplash right over onto the walls. (via Gabbe)
16. Pastel Pinks: Ooh la la — this tres chic pink color is Parisienne in *all* the right ways. Whether you’re going for a full accent wall or just a little backsplash, you’re guaranteed to come out with a smile after tiling your kitchen or bathroom in this showstopper shade. (via Topps Tiles)
17. Cheery Blue: If you’re working with a tiny kitchen backsplash, sometimes it pays to go bold. Give your space even more cool factor with a glossy blue tile wall. A bright color goes great with light wood cabinets and contemporary fixtures. (via Home Adore)
Looking for more creative ways to add more style to your home? Check us out on Pinterest for more decor inspo and trending ideas.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)