5 Ways to Reboot Your Style Like Hilary Duff
There’s no better time than now to scratch the itch — that big, big itch — that is a total style transformation. Yep, we’re talking about the head-to-toe makeover you’ve been thinking about (you miiiight not have ticked the “secret” button on your “New You” Pinboard, you guys). Not just because it’s spring, the quintessential month of fresh starts, but also because a big name celeb just underwent one herself, and created a bit of a do’s and don’ts to pulling it off with aplomb along the way.
We’re talking about Hilary Duff, the former Disney star who just recently shed her child star stigma once and for all with the biggest style reboot of the year. Her Insta-documented transformation is full of cues that will help the leap feel extremely authentic (and won’t totally freak your BFFs — no tongues, pasties or twerking involved in this 180). Read on for the takeaways that can help you nail the you-to-new-you transformation.
1. Choose New Haircut or Color, Not Both: Changing up your hair is one of the most drastic and empowering changes a gal can make to her appearance. Hilary made the move by coloring her locks a gorgeous mermaid blue, then stopped there. While the bold color is shocking, it’s still easier to soak in on her signature long layers than, say, if she would have also indulged in a blunt bob. Play it safe and chose either a new cut or color for your initial makeover, then once you’re settled, see if an even bigger leap actually suits you.
2. Try Out Trends In Neutral Colors: Stepping outside of your sartorial comfort zone can be scary, so if you’re looking for one final push before you try a new look or jump on a trend, take Hil’s approach. There’s nothing cooler than distressed jeans right now, but instead of wearing a pair in a head-turning wash or a shredded-to-death finish, she’s opted for a crisp white pair, which makes her entire outfit feel chic, no matter how big those rips are.
3. Add a Statement Lip to Your Look: Adding a daily pop of color lip not only pulls together your look in an instant (score!), but gives you another way to show off major personality. Hilary’s been spotted more often than not with a red lip that complements her new blue hair (and ear-to-ear smile) and adds an element of classic beauty to her edgier look. You can’t go wrong with a versatile red, but it’s not the only wear-everywhere statement-making shade out there: we’re swooning over spring’s corals, hot pinks and even moody berries too.
4. Brush Up on Easy Fashion Girl Hacks: One of the easiest ways to get noticed in the wardrobe you already have (aka the one your old self wore to death), is to wear it differently. Hilary’s picking up on savvy styling in this snap by draping her coat over her shoulders. Just like that, she looks all kinds of elegant (the fashion-girl move almost blinded us from noticing she’s riding on the front of a shopping cart — it’s that good). Apply these style hacks to your old clothes to give them new life: knot your tees, cuff your jeans, even wear your skirts over pants (seriously).
5. Ease Into a Complete Unveil: Hilary first unveiled the pastel hair, then the statement makeup, then the cool-girl garb (oooh + flashing all of her tattoos!) to create a gradual “new me” reveal. That doesn’t mean that her new look (+ a new attitude to go with it) is not a big deal — it is. But it’s a clever tactic to ensure the entire process didn’t feel overwhelming. Once you’ve passed this stage, commence gratuitous selfies immediately.
What other star’s style transformation are you obsessed with? Share below!
(Photos via @hilaryduff, Featured image via Stephen Lovekin/Getty)