15 Essentials You NEED for Your First Adult Apartment
You’ve finally moved into your very own grown-up apartment, got your wine and cheese pairing game on lock, and maybe even welcomed a new fur baby into your life. Now, it’s time to decorate like an adult — but where’s a gal to start? With these 15 apartment essentials, that’s where. The inspo below will kick that college dorm room style to the curb and have you bringing in majorly sophisticated vibes. Don’t worry; you’ll be hosting your first Pinterest-worthy dinner party in no time.
1. A Stylish Shower Curtain: Time to ditch that tacky plastic shower curtain in favor of something a little more chic. This soft pink H&M Shower Curtain ($20) will take even the tiniest bathroom to new heights.
2. A Pinterest-Worthy Bedframe: It can be overwhelming — and expensive! — to decorate your bedroom, but you can’t go wrong with a statement-making bed frame or headboard. Whether you go for something cushy and upholstered or a modern four-poster, your #wokeuplikethis snaps will be on point. (via Sarah M. Dorsey Designs)
3. A Stand-Up Mixer: Now that you’re officially in your own place, it’s time to step up your baking game. With a fab KitchenAid Pro Line Copper Stand Mixer ($1099), your Insta-worthy cupcakes won’t be the only thing that’ll have people talking.
4. A Well-Stocked Bar Cart: Now for one of the most fun adulting elements: a bart cart! Grab a wheeled option like the Threshold Metal, Wood, and Leather Bar Cart ($130), stock it with your fave boozy beverages, and let the good times roll.
5. Air Diffuser: Nothing makes a house feel like a home quite like welcoming fragrances. This Saje Armogem 2.0 Gold Ultrasonic Diffuser ($75) is a perfectly glam way to infuse your bedroom with relaxing lavender or to pump some productive citrus notes into your home office.
6. Fancy File Folders: Okay, filing and office work aren’t the most glamorous, but having colorful gems like these Sugar Paper File Folders ($6, set of 12) will make the work 10 times more bearable.
7. A Solid Espresso Maker: Everyone knows the key to proper adulting is coffee… lots and lots of coffee. Ditch the instant stuff for a quality brewer like the Keurig K10/K15 Mini Plus Brewing System ($64). Your brightened kitchen counter will thank you!
8. A Good Indoor Garden: Because nothing says #adulting like an indoor herb garden or a trendy rubber plant. Give your green thumb a boost with a set of legged planters like the Urban Outfitters Knock Down Plant Stands ($59+) pictured here.
9. A Shoe Rack: Alright, it’s time to quit throwing those cute kicks in a pile by the door. Pop one of these Lavish Home 3-Tier Blonde Wood Storage Rack ($15) shoe racks in your entryway or hall and you’ll never lose a pair again.
10. Coasters for Cocktails: If you’re already planning your first party in the new pad, it’s time to invest in a set of classy AF coasters. The Lulu & Georgia Agate Coaster Set ($45) won’t let a single watermark ruin your wooden table.
11. A Vacuum Cleaner: Make your mom proud by investing in a vacuum cleaner that actually gets the job done. The Dyson Ball Multifloor Bagless Upright Vacuum ($400) is a great option for an apartment because it effortlessly glides over tile, carpet, and hardwood.
12. Wireless Speakers for Epic Tunes: The best part about having your own place? Dancing the night away to your fave songs. But first, you’ll need a modern and minimal wireless speaker set like the Urbanears Stammen Wireless Multi-Room Speaker ($350) to really do it up right.
13. A Proper Barware Set: Once you’ve set up your bar cart with liquor and mixers, it’s time to treat yo’ self to a chic barware set. If the mermaid trend makes your heart skip a beat, you can’t go wrong with the True Brands Mirage Rainbow Barware Set ($33), featuring that swoon-worthy holo shine.
14. A Colorful Statement Rug: Nothing pulls a room together faster than a good area rug. After you’ve settled on a color scheme, go for a funky geometric pattern, like this Overstock Well-Woven Mid Century Modern Geometric Rug ($45).
15. A Dining Table Big Enough for Entertaining: Don’t lie; we know you’re dying to throw your first official dinner party. Forget perching on couches and poufs and give your guests the ultimate experience with a chic setup like the West Elm Tower Dining Table ($899).
If you’re looking for more fun, budget-friendly ways to #adult your home, follow us on Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.