Get Ready for Back to School With This Whole 30 Spin on a School Lunch Favorite
As much as I love summer, I’m getting ready for fall as it slowly creeps up on us. While the sun is still shining bright, I can’t help but swoon over pumpkin recipes and school lunch classics (I’m looking at you, PB & J). This snack bar is made from delicious, nutrient-dense ingredients that are all Whole 30 approved, vegan and gluten free. Instead of using peanut butter, this healthy recipe calls for almond butter to make it Whole 30 compliant. I can, however, vouch that subbing peanut butter is super delish. These are perfect to pack for lunch or a snack on the go. Throw away those high-carb, high-sugar, guilt-accompanying PB & J’s and try this recipe!
makes 6 bars
— 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
— 1 cup raw cashews
— 1/2 cup shredded coconut
— 1/2 cup almond butter (or substitute with peanut butter if not Whole 30)
— 1/2 cup berry chia jam **
** This is a super easy and healthy way to make jam. Simply heat on low 1/2 cup of mixed berries in a pot. Once berries are soft, mash them with a fork. Remove from heat and add two tablespoons chia seeds. Mix well and let cool in the fridge!
1. Start by making berry chia jam. Instructions are explained in the notes. Let cool in the fridge while prepping the other ingredients!
2. Add all ingredients to a blender (minus berry chia jam) and blend until cashews and dates are in tiny pieces.
3. Add water one tablespoon at a time to make the mixture more dough-like.
4. Pour mixture into a bread loaf pan or brownie pan and push around until there is a smooth, even layer.
5. Remove berry chia jam from the fridge and spread across the top. You can fold in the jam or keep it as a top layer.
6. Place in the fridge for 4-6 hours (or overnight) to set. They can be eaten prior to this, but they will stay more intact if you wait! That is, if you can wait ;)
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until dates and cashews are in tiny pieces. Add water one tablespoon at a time to make the mixture more dough-like.
Pour mixture in pan. I used a bread loaf pan, which worked great!
Spread mixture evenly. Add berry chia jam on top and make an even layer. This can be folded in as well!
Let set in the fridge for 4-6 hours or overnight.
These will keep in the fridge for about a week!
Snack time! They taste as yummy as they look.
Cut into squares for bite-size snacks on the go!
This is the perfect snack for a guilt-free pick me up.
What are some flavors you can recreate into a snack bar? Share your creations and send us your photos on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative.