Sometimes we eat healthy, and other times we let ourselves go. That’s life. The perfect compromise? Making dessert healthy… or more accurately, healthier. Whether your preference is adding fruit, getting rid of the gluten or demanding the chocolate as dark as it comes, there are plenty of ways to cut the calories while saving on taste. From healthy donut recipes to substituting olive oil for buttery alternatives and incorporating ingredients like sweet potatoes and chickpeas, these recipes will keep you guessing… and keep you fit… ish.
1. Whole Wheat Banana Spice + Brown Butter Glaze Muffins: In matters of staying on top of your health-conscious game, whole wheat is always the answer. Any time you can substitute natural wheat for a starchier batter, go for it. That allows some extra sugar room for add-ons like this yummy glaze. Or, dark chocolate chips, anyone? (via How Sweet Eats)
2. Pomegranate Spiced Poached Pears With Orange Cashew Cream: We hadn’t seen so many poached pear recipes until now. Different flavor combos and spices are all around us in food blog world, pick one or create your own with your favorite flavor. (via Jeanette’s Healthy Living)
3. Crazy Healthy Good Chocolate Chip Pan Cookie: This might look like an average cookie pie, but what you can’t see is the lack of butter, flour and eggs… and the presence of… wait for it… chickpeas! (via Sweet Anna’s)
5. Healthy Cheesecake Bites in a Quinoa Crust: You had us at cheesecake and quinoa. Making dessert bite-sized is another great solution for portion control… as long as you don’t end up popping 50 of them. (Hey, it happens.) (via Happy Food Healthy Life)
6. Healthy Dark Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bars: Checking butter at the door is a theme among these recipes, and oatmeal and chocolate prove to be just as scrumptious without it. (via Half Baked Harvest)
7. Mango Crisp With Almonds: This crisp is made with a modest amount of sugar, lots of natural grain for a great source of fiber and Vitamins A and C from mango. See? This isn’t so bad after all. (via Hoosier Homemade)
8. Baked Nutmeg Donuts With Raspberry Icing: The fact that we could find 15 healthy donut recipes makes us very happy about the state of the world. Here’s one of the most unique. (via The Vintage Mixer)
11. Oat and Yogurt Fruit Pizza: Here’s a fruit tart you can make at home, so you know exactly what goes into it. Use applesauce and rolled oats for the crust and Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese, and you have a much healthier snack than what’s at the store. (via The Yummy Life)
14. Sweet Potato Pie Crust: In addition to being delicious, sweet potatoes are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. We know they make delicious fries, why not make them into a crust for your pie? (via Food)
16. Red Plum Tart: It’s fruit and jam that make the filling for this tart. As for the crust, it’s okay to add a little sugar to ingredients that have lots of nutrients on their own. (via Sprinkle Bakes)
19. Herbed Olive Oil Pie Crust: Substituting olive oil for butter is another smart move with turning pastries into healthier snacks. Check our desserts with olive oil, we promise there’s no difference in taste, just in the way you feel. (via My Fair Baking)
20. Silky Chocolate Pie: If you learn to depend on Greek yogurt — as well as low-fat milk and cream cheese — chances are, you’ll never have to live without your favorite treat. Simply, whip it up in a much healthier form. (via BHG)
How will you stay healthy while still getting your sweet fix? Leave us some healthy eating tips in the comments below!