How to Make the Prettiest Hostess Gift Ever: Agate Slice Coasters
If you’re a fan of interior design, you know that agate is trending. Who can resist the unique colors and patterns found naturally in each piece? We’ve been looking for any excuse to craft with agate, and couldn’t pass up these DIY coasters. They’re the prettiest hostess gift idea ever, and make beautiful objects to display on your coffee table when they’re not being used. Now that’s some seriously functional home decor!
Make these fabulous coasters for yourself or for a friend in 15 minutes flat.
- four agate slices
- gold paint pen
- self-adhesive vinyl pads
1. Using your paint pen, paint along the edges of the agate slice. Carefully draw a thin border on the top surface to create a dipped effect.
2. Repeat step one with the remaining three agate slices. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly before handling.
3. When the paint is dry, adhere four vinyl pads to the back side of each agate slice.
Get your materials together and let’s get started!
- First, we’ll add a gold accent to our agate slices. Paint along the edges first, then carefully draw a thin border on the top surface of the slice to create a dipped effect.
- Repeat this step with the remaining three agate slices. Be sure to fill in the grooves with paint for a more polished look.
- Allow your slices to dry for about 15 minutes before handling. Once the pieces are dry, apply four self-adhesive vinyl pads to the back of the agate slice. Repeat this step with the three remaining coasters, and you’re all done!
- We’re not kidding when we say these coasters are super simple to make.
Step up your apartment game and say goodbye to water rings forever with these agate coasters. Adulting: you’re doing it right!
Where are you displaying these luxe-looking coasters? Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram and using the hashtag #iamcreative!
DIY Production and Styling: Lee Schellenberger and Marianne Koo
Photography: Chris Andre and Brittany Griffin