Pantone Was Right — This Color of the Year Is All Over Instagram
Ultra Violet has been dubbed 2018’s Pantone Color of the Year, and we for one are all in when it comes to this “deeply provocative and thoughtful purple shade.” What’s not to love about a color that’s empowering enough to represent on the GRL PWR front (Millennial Pink, you’ve been replaced), yet mystical enough to channel the cosmos? With inspiration for the deep purple hue stemming from Prince to David Bowie, a dose of violet-y goodness — in the form of a marshmallow puffer or a pair of those coveted Balenciaga OTK spandex boots — could be just the thing to stave off a case of the mid-winter blues. Let your imagination run wild with these 16 Instababe-approved looks that will inspire you to have a purple moment of your own.
1. Matching Jumper and Satchel: This London-based blogger is the perfect picture of a girl about town with her cozy violet jumper and ladylike lavender satchel taking center stage just outside of Covent Garden.
2. Having a Shearling Moment: Susie (Bubble, that is) strikes again! She’s armed with a dark purple Western-inspired shearling jacket and an accompanying cold-weather pout, and her masterful play on color pays homage to the ’80s.
3. Purple Monochrome: If Pantone’s the world-renowned authority on color, then Monling Lee is a color-blocking master. Peep her Ultra Violet denim utility jumpsuit and backpack, and bluish-purple mirrored shades.
4. The Fuzzy-Wuzzy Effect: Velcro sneakers à la Prada? Check. Leather flares? Check. Textured purple topper with traffic-stopping appeal? BINGO.
5. Purple Hair, Don’t Care: Be the unicorn of your friend group by test-driving purple ombre hair with as much panache as Bowie. Your inner rockstar will thank you.
6. So Mod: A ’70s-inspired purple patterned jumpsuit with bohemian flair will have you feeling like a foxy mama. As per Tamu McPherson’s “nothing off limits” style philosophy, leopard print pumps and retro pink-tinted sunglasses are all the outfit-elevating extras you could ever need.
7. Casual Purple Suit Day: Breaking glass ceilings and lookin’ dang good while doing it. Introducing the violet-infused power suit that officially deserves a spot in every aspiring lady boss’s wardrobe.
8. The Sky’s the Limit: Purple out with a pair of Balenciaga’s cult-favorite Knife boots, a frosty lilac dress, and windswept hair. (Photo via @handinfire)
9. Purple Marshmallow Spotting: Just how many lavender puffas do you think Lenki Lenki sold after Eva Chen ‘grammed this #OOTD magic right here?
10. Ultra Violet Grecian Goddess: Be it for an upcoming spring banquet or a summer wedding, the reign of purple gowns has only just begun. This flowy orchid-hued Rosie Assoulin stunner is #flawless.
11. Bedroom Dressing 2.0: Slay, Gitta Banko, slay. Royal purple silky PJs reminiscent of the Duchess herself are totes necessary for your next at-home pampering sesh or midnight rendezvous.
12. A Hint of Purple: Take it from the Milanese and their less is more style know-how — a purple amethyst sweater oozes sophistication. Kudos to the striped pants and Thrasher Vans for bringing an element of zaniness to the table. (Photo via @thesartorialist)
13. Fabulous Fringe: ‘Scuse us, we’re having a MAJOR (purple) fringe moment over here. ‘Nuff said. (Photo via @styledumonde)
14. Plum Perfection: Plum crazy is right! We can’t decide what we love more: the bright cocoon coat or Carrie Colbert’s fantastically sassy Barbie pink tassel earrings.
15. Jewel Tones and Fancy Frills: Jane Aldridge’s incorporation of head-to-toe jewel tones (amethyst and emerald) is enough to set any color-loving gal’s heart aflutter. Don’t even get us started on her perfectly tousled red hair.
16. Extra AF: TFW you’ve got a dope date-night look all planned out, and you unintentionally match your violet feather bolero to your plum-tastic beret. Et voilà!
How will you be incorporating Ultra Violet into your upcoming winter wardrobe? Follow us on Pinterest for more Instababe-approved style inspo!