15 Indie Record Stores You Can’t Miss on Record Store Day
To music mavens, vinyl hoarders and those who love a leisurely afternoon spent expanding their record collections, Record Store Day is basically Christmas. Every third Sunday in April, record stores across the world throw parties, welcome bands, offer deals and stock limited-edition RSD-exclusive releases. Even if the Indie Rock Coloring Book is Greek to you, RSD is the perfect time to meet musicians, support local businesses and get familiar with new releases and rare retro finds. Scroll on for our 15 can’t-miss spots worth visiting on Record Store Day and every day after.
1. Criminal Records (Atlanta): Come for the records, CDs and tapes; stay for the comics, magazines and toys. Fun fact: Founder and owner Eric Levin was one of the co-founders of Record Store Day. (Photo via Criminal Records)
2. The Sound Garden (Baltimore and Syracuse): No word on whether Chris Cornell and the members of Soundgarden shop here, but chances are they’d have a blast rifling through this indie store’s used vinyl collection. (Photo via @sg_bmore)
3. Phonoluxe Records, Movies + Music (Nashville): It’s fitting that this old-school store, just outside of downtown Nashville, is right down the road from Woodlawn Memorial Park, where country legends Webb Pierce, Tammy Wynette and Porter Wagoner (Dolly Parton’s longtime duet partner) are all buried.
4. Rooky Ricardo’s (San Francisco): For 20 years, this colorful and quirky shop with a 1960s feel has held court in the Lower Haight, focusing on girl groups, soul and R&B vinyl. Stock up on 45s here, because they’re only two dollars. (Photo via Rooky Ricardo’s)
5. Euclid Records (New Orleans and St. Louis): Not only is Euclid’s St. Louis location home to a plethora of in-store performances, but the store also releases the recordings as limited-edition 45s. If you’re at the NOLA location, make sure to check out the hot-pink Ernie K-Doe mural. (Photo via @stcardiff)
6. Graveface Records + Curiosities (Savannah): You can find music at this tiny shop run by the Graveface record label and get your taxidermy fix too. Or, opt for the wide selection of bitters and cocktail supplies. (Photo via Graveface)
7. Waterloo Records (Austin): This Austin staple pre-dates SXSW’s coolness, but it’s always been a mecca for Texas music-seekers. CDs and records are simply filed A-Z (not by genre), so you don’t even need to know what you’re in the mood for when you shop, which is half the battle, right? (Photo via Waterloo Records)
8. Permanent Records (LA + Chicago): We love everything about these two stores, but this pizza slipmat for your record player kinda takes the cake — er, pie. If you’ll be near the LA store on Record Store Day, check out an in-store performance by John Doe and Exene of punk legends X. (Photo via @permanentrecordschicago)
9. Sugar Shack Records (Madison): Trekking down 1-94 with only a tape player for tunes? Stop at Madison’s Sugar Shack Records to stock up on classic-rock and country cassettes for the road. (Photo via Sugar Shack Records)
10. Wax Trax (Denver): This teeny-tiny store is a goldmine of old 45s, jazz, punk and classic country. Pro tip: Pop over to the nearby Kirkland Museum of Fine + Decorative Art for a fascinating tour beforehand. (Photo via For The Love of Punk)
11. Aquarius Records (San Francisco): Opened in 1970, the oldest independent record store in SF specializes in “cool, weird and wonderful” music, and claims to only stock what the staff really loves. (Photo via Gallivant)
12. Everyday Music (Portland + Seattle): You can find everything from Top 40 pop to obscure reggae at Everyday’s five Pacific Northwest locations. The downtown Portland location even has a separate store that houses jazz and classical. If you’re at the Seattle location, make sure to pop around the corner to visit the Jimi Hendrix statue. (Photo via @tryttenpnw)
13. Hymie’s Vintage Records (Minneapolis): This East Lake Street mom-and-pop shop (literally — owners Dave and Laura Hoenack have two babies) is also a record label. Wile away an afternoon sifting through retro rock, early R&B and oodles of other gems. (Photo via Hymie’s Vintage Records)
14. Shangri-La Records (Memphis): If rare blues, funk, psych and soul — and just about any other genre you can imagine — sounds up your alley, downtown Memphis’ Shangri-La will totally live up to its name. (Photo via Shangri-La Records)
Where will you be shopping this Record Store Day? Did we miss your favorite store? Let us know in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.