Oh, to be an It-girl. One day they’re enjoying a glamorous vacation in the Bahamas, the next they’re posting party pics with every celeb we love (ahem, Taylor, we’re looking at you). The constant FOMO they give us is oh-so real, but we love to love them all the same. Aside from their typically lavish lifestyle, their fashion sense seems to also always be on point. Whether they’re more of the “oh, I just threw this on and now I look amazing” kind of gal or they take pride in curating carefully crafted ensembles, there is something about their style that we can’t stop Insta-stalking. If you’re constantly trying to achieve an It-girl level wardrobe, here are 13 style takeaways we’ve learned from the fashionable femmes.
1. Stock up on bold patterns. Case in point: Blake Lively. Don’t get us wrong — we’re all for a sleek, minimal look some days, but there are times when all we want is a bold, printed skirt or date-night dress. It’s cool if you don’t want a closet full of floral and geometric designs, but adding a few fun pieces could do wonders for your wardrobe. (Photo via @blakelively)
2. Rock a two-piece set. Why wear only a printed skirt when you could rock a printed skirt AND matching top? If you’re in need of a little inspiration on how to rock this style, check out one of the many times T. Swift has embraced the look (homegirl must have close to 50 sets). P.S if you’re up for making your own, check out our tutorial that transforms a dress into a 2-piece set. (Photo via Jamie McCarthy/Getty)
3. Find the perfect blazer. Whether it’s fitted or more of a boyfriend cut, a good blazer is something you can not only wear to the office, but basically anywhere you would wear a light jacket. Pop it on with some heels and a dress for lunch with your best buds or with a slim-cut crop top for date night. (Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)
4. Go minimal. If you’re not in the mood to spend a bunch of time putting together the perfect outfit, throw on a couple of your favorite basics for a super clean, minimal vibe. While it may not be as loud as a gorgeous floral dress, it will still give you that wow factor, just in a different kind of way. (Photo via Chelsea Lauren/Getty)
5. Embrace the unexpected pairing. No one does this better than J.Crew’s Creative Director, Jenna Lyons. Who says that white-button down can’t be paired with sweatpants? Feel like rocking a paint suit with Converse? Go for it. You read all the rules, now go ahead and break them. (Photo via Andrew H. Walker/Getty)
6. Up your collection of graphic tees. Whether you rock it with beat-up boyfriend jeans or a chic pencil skirt like Beyoncé, a good graphic shirt instantly adds an element of cool to any outfit. (Photo via @beyonce)
7. A good leather jacket will never go out of style. If you’re ever looking to add a rebellious touch to any outfit (and we mean any outfit) simply pop on a leather jacket. (Photo via Ben Pruchnie/Getty)
8. Bling it up. A good statement necklace can go a long way. (Photo via @mindykaling)
9. Get a jumpsuit ASAP. Oh, jumpsuits. How we love you so. They’re so easy to throw on but somehow always manage to look super chic. We’ll admit, they kind of suck when it comes to bathroom breaks, but we’re willing to sport them regardless. (Photo via Jamie McCarthy/Getty)
10. Get in on that midi dress magic. Not too long or too short, the midi dress basically the Goldilocks of dress hems. Trust us: You’ll be so happy not to worry about flashing those granny panties every time a gust of wind comes your way. (Photo via Andreas Rentz/Getty)
11. Denim shirts are your friend. The vote is still out on whether or not denim on denim gets the green light, but a classic denim shirt can’t be beat. Rock it with a pencil skirt like Olivia Palermo or simply pair it with some black trousers and Converse. (Photo via Noam Galai/Getty)
12. Sneakers are always your friend. Don’t get us wrong; we love a great pair of heels as much as the next gal. But we definitely don’t want to wear them every day. When you want to give your feet a rest or your day includes a lot of walking, pop on a pair of Chucks or colorful New Balances. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
13. Remember to keep things fun. The biggest fashion faux pas is taking it too seriously. Have at least a few pieces in your wardrobe that are totally fun and maybe even a little goofy. They probably won’t be in your regular rotation, but when you do decide to pull them out it will be a special treat. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
Who is your favorite It-girl? Share with us in the comments below.