Kate Middleton’s Preppy Shoe Shape Will Be Your New Fall Staple
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge had the most fantastic trip to Canada last month, and the entire world took notice. As usual, Kate Middleton’s travel outfits had everyone taking notes on how to look ladylike in any situation (including a children’s party with Prince George and Princess Charlotte and sailing!).
She went from super formal, with her typical coat dress and hat combo, to super casual, dressing down in an anorak and jeans and sneakers. But it was her reliable preppy looks that you’ll want to copy, including this one, where she wore the simplest white blazer, black pants and chic, low-heeled loafers. The block heel is a secret weapon of Kate’s; she’s able to walk comfortably in them and combine style and comfort. Here are 13 block heels you can rock to look just as smartly sophisticated as Her Royal Highness.
1. London Rebel Faux Snake Block Heels ($99): These neutral faux snakeskin heels are a great way to jazz up any simple black or brown outfit, making them the perfect way to take a meh outfit to something great.
2. ASOS Santiago Block Heel ($65): Fancy! While these would be gorgeous with a cocktail dress, get creative and pair them with jeans and a tee for another unexpected outfit combo.
3. River Island Blue Velvet Ankle Tie Heels ($96): ‘90s girls will love these velvet ankle-tie block-heel sandals — they’ll look great with black tights too.
4. River Island Marble Block Heel Mules ($96): If you’re a mule girl, these marble heeled mules are the perfect addition to your closet.
5. French Sole Trance Block Heel ($185): If you need super practical and preppy shoes like the Duchess, try a low block heel in a pretty turquoise like these. You can wear them with everything from her exact outfit above to a gray work suit.
6. Maryam Nassir Zadeh Cap Toe Heels ($397): Yes, these are a little on the pricier side, but they’re so versatile that you’ll get your cost per wear down to nothing over a few years of owning them. The cap toe is so very French, while the block heel makes them stylish and sensible.
7. Topshop Jed Pearl Loafers ($100): These are such fun heels — and rather easy to walk in, thanks to the block heel. The pearls are a nice fashion-y touch to any simple outfit.
8. Kate Spade Marcellina Heels ($328): Who doesn’t love a low heel from Kate Spade? These ankle-wrap ones are cool enough to be your evening shoe and walkable enough to be your everyday staple, as well.
9. Topshop Justify Block Heel Loafer ($120): Fringe, metallic and buckled — it shouldn’t work, but it does. Because they’re so fashion-forward, keep your outfit simple, such as jeans and a white button-down or a fit-and-flare skirt and silk blouse.
10. New Look Glitter Block Heel ($38): These are every five-year-old girl’s dream — but that doesn’t mean they can’t be yours too. A glitter-dipped low block heel is the perfect amount of sparkle for daytime.
11. River Island Rose Gold Ballet Heel ($49): If you’re still feeling rose gold (and who isn’t!?), try the tone in a beautiful round-toed ballet heel. Kate would definitely approve of these.
12. J.Crew Lucite Heel in Suede ($218): Lucite (AKA acrylic) is sturdy and stylish and makes this simple pump from J.Crew your new preppy staple.
13. Sole Society Katarina Block Heel ($80): A low block heel, dainty ankle strap and slightly pointed toe make this a great option for work; try a pair of plum or wine tights with them for a fun contrast.
Are you already singing the praises of the block heel? Tweet us all about it!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Chris Jackson / Getty)