Bold flower vases, colorful kitchen decor, and gold polka dots? YAS! These are the leading looks in Kate Spade New York’s Spring 2017 home collection, and it’s hard not to want every single item. If you’ve already splurged on a few pieces for your living room, why not try and hack a few more picks? The nine DIYs below will help you nail all those preppy vibes *and* save plenty of moola for that velvet furniture piece you’ve been eyeing. Happy hacking!
1. DIY Clay Hand Ring Dish: If there’s one thing your living room needs, it’s a piece of quirky anatomy decor. Using clay and a touch of paint, you can copy the Zadie Drive Hand Book Ends ($50) with this easy ring dish tutorial. High five for DIY! (via Homemade Banana)
2. DIY Pink Pom-Pom Oven Mitts: If you’re baking or barbecuing, keep your fingers safe and stylish with personalized oven mitts. True, this isn’t an exact hack for the Diner Stripe Oven Mitt ($15), but those playful pom-poms might be even better. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
4. DIY Gilded Heart Ring Dish: No, you’re not imagining it: Earrings will try to jump ship if you leave them on their own. Keep track of your jewels with this pretty DIY hack similar to the Posy Court Small Ring Dish ($20). Seriously, that gold detailing is everything. (via Lovely Indeed)
5. DIY Color Coded Cutting Boards: You can never have too many cutting boards, especially when you’re building epic summer salads. If you love the look of the Wooden Round Cutting Board ($30), you’ll be stoked to learn how easy it is to make your own colorful cutting boards. The best part? Pulling out the wood burner tool and adding a pun or your name. (via Dream a Little Bigger)
6. Dip-Dyed Serving Utensils: Take note from this Set of 3 Kitchen Tools ($35) and upgrade your basic wooden serving utensils by color-dipping ’em. To achieve precise patterns, use a stencil and pencil to draw out your design before painting. (via The Everygirl)
7. DIY Embroidered Phrase Kitchen Towel: Could your kitchen do with a colorful, preppy makeover? Before you drop some dough on the Diner Stripe Kitchen Towel ($10), check out this rad DIY that teaches you how to dress up your tea towels with colorful trim and cheeky quotes. Extra points if you add pom-poms. (via A Beautiful Mess)
8. DIY Paint by Numbers: Remember those paint-by-numbers pieces you did as a kid? Rather than shell out for the Red Roses ($195) piece, channel your inner artist, grab a canvas and an armful of acrylic paint, and brush your way to the perfect floral arrangement. (via Damask Love)
9. DIY Striped Vase: Whether you’re showing off blooms from your garden or storing wooden spoons, everything is better in stripes. If you’re lusting after this Utensil Crock ($40), try making your own striped vase right now. (via At Home in Love)
Want more brilliant ways to hack your favorite home decor stores? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.