‘Tis the Season to Keep Keto With This Low-Carb Eggnog
We get it; you’re on a diet but craving your fave comfort foods like ice cream and chicken noodle soup. With our new food series, #NotCheating, we’re turning these cheat-day dishes into compliant recipes. If you’re dabbling with gluten-free, vegan, keto, paleo, Whole30, or other plans, allow these takes to curb your hankerings healthfully.
Eating keto during the holidays doesn’t have to be dreary. We’re all for looking for festive ways to participate in the merry-making without ditching the diet. First stop on the holiday train: keto eggnog! This is one decadent drink you don’t have to feel bad about sipping. We swapped out the sugar for a keto-friendly sweetener. And while you want to minimize how much whole milk you drink on a keto diet (it breaks down into simple sugars), full fat is your friend, so lean on heavy cream for this decadent drink. The cream also thickens the ‘nog, meaning you can use just a few yolks for a luscious libation.
Recipe Notes: If you like your eggnog boosted with booze, remember that alcohol is a no-go on the keto diet. But if you’re planning to indulge, aim for pure spirits like brandy, vodka, or cognac, rather than bourbon or other spirits made from grains. Even then, keep your pour to only around 1 1/2 fluid ounces. Most importantly, sprinkle on the spice. Dust with a hit of nutmeg or cinnamon to top off this once-a-year treat.
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup Swerve sugar or keto-friendly sweetener like Lakanto
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- a few pinches freshly ground nutmeg, plus more for garnishing
1. Pour the cream and milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat. Sprinkle in the keto-friendly sweetener and heat until just below boiling, or when bubbles rapidly break out around the edge of the saucepan. Turn off the heat. Stir the cream until the sweetener dissolves.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth.
3. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot cream into the eggs. Gradually pour in the remaining hot milk into the yolks, whisking continuously until combined.
4. Pour the whisked mixture back into the saucepan, set over low heat. Whisk regularly for about 8 minutes or until the temperature registers 160°F on a probe thermometer. Add a few pinches of nutmeg and whisk to combine.
5. Pour the eggnog into a pitcher. Chill until cold. It will thicken more in the refrigerator. Store in the fridge no longer than 3 days.
6. For a frothier drink, whirl it in a blender or Vitamix Aer Disc Container until fluffy.
7. When serving, garnish the tops of each drink with freshly ground nutmeg.
Find more holiday inspiration by following us on Pinterest.
(Recipe via Annelies Zijderveld/Brit + Co; photos via Kurt Andre/Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)