Cue the swimsuits, embroidered dresses and straw hats — summer is officially in full swing. And that means endless #OOTDs, featuring all those trend-right pieces you’ve been lusting over since they hit the runways back in February. Your off-duty summer outfit is insta-ready with denim culottes, off-the-shoulder tops and floral maxi dresses any It-girl would straight-up swoon over. But work? That’s another story altogether.
Demystifying on-the-job style when the temperatures start to rise is a serious exercise in patience and sartorial know-how. Like, can you actually wear shorts to work? (Yes.) And navigating the transition from sweltering commute to frigid cubicle? Nightmare. We feel your pain — but luckily, all is not lost. We’ve found the perfect formula for a flawless nine-to-five repertoire: airy skirts and dresses paired with — wait for it — loafers. Polished, practical and of-the-moment, this effortless pairing will never let you down. Scroll on for 13 foolproof outfit ideas that will get you through the work week in style from now until Labor Day — with almost ZERO effort.
1. COS Flared Sleeveless Dress ($135) + J.Crew Loafers With Glitter Heel in Ratti into the Wild Print ($228): Bad vibes don’t stand a chance when you have this vibrant combo on standby. This frock’s architectural silhouette screams sophistication, while these exotic loafers bring on the polish and a healthy serving of pizzazz (check that glorious glittery heel). Style ’em alongside tassel earrings and a sleek metallic belt for some serious Monday-morning wow factor.
2. Mango Buckle Wrap Skirt ($60) + Dieppa Restrepo Denim Loafers ($130): Sassy separates, like this chic suede skirt, are what desk-to-drinks dreams are made of. By day, it gets down to business with a silk blouse, chambray loafers and a menswear-inspired watch, and by night it turns up the heat with a silk cami and strappy block heels for rooftop drinks and urban escapades.
3. Babaton TJ Dress ($145) + Jeffrey Campbell Gulana ($135): Office attire this DDG deserves a major round of applause. Between the elegant pleating and mock-neck silo, this stylish sheath will put your go-to power suit to shame, especially when paired with bronze block heels and a dramatic berry lip. Send the boss lady vibes into overdrive with a sleek topknot and a statement cuff with endless attitude.
4. Madewell Striped Overlay Maxi Skirt ($110) + Zara Leather Platform Loafers ($90): You may not be able to hit the beach every day (because #adulting), but these seaside-worthy stripes are guaranteed to take the edge off of an intense work week. Pop it on with a silk tee and statement necklace, then proceed to step into a pair of ready-for-anything loafers (baiiii, painful heels) that can handle a little running around.
5. Joie Lunaria Printed Silk Maxi Dress ($199) + Jeffrey Campbell Cersei Loafer ($165): Channel your inner boho babe while you crush that to-do list with a flowy floral maxi dress that would look ah-mazing with a structured sleeveless blazer and a sleek choker necklace. Oh, and these pointed-toe steppers? A little bit badass and a whole lot of right now, they’re the perfect finishing touch for any girl-boss-in-training ensemble.
6. & Other Stories Shinjuku Pleated Mid Skirt ($85) + Mango Pointed Toe Leather Shoes ($80): Put some pep back into your step midweek with this colorful duo that will never disappoint. Button-downs, frilly blouses and cold shoulder tops — the styling opportunities are endless. Just add a swipe of red lipstick and a few stacking rings, and prepare to seize the day.
7. Warehouse Tie Front Shirt Dress ($80) + ASOS Mayfair Embellished Pointed Flat Shoes ($65): Calling all lazy girls! This foolproof combo was practically made for mornings when you’ve hit snooze one too many times. This look was made to toss on and go, with details like a dramatic tie and don’t-mess embellishments taking tried-and-true silhouettes to the next level. Translation? You look perfectly pulled together without actually putting in the effort. It’s like they say — fake it ’til you make it.
8. & Other Stories Metallic Pleated Skirt ($95) + Jeffrey Campbell Open-Case ($135): Pencil skirt? Nah. Why stick to the basics when you can get your mogul on in this swishy metallic number? When you’re not twirling it out on the dance floor, take it for a spin at work with minimalist cutout loafers and an architectural top for an on-duty look with cool eclectic flair.
9. J.Crew Candy-Stripe Dress ($118) + Dolce Vita Tia Slides in Ivory ($130): This rainbow-striped stunner is what your nine-to-five lineup has been missing, so run — don’t walk — to add it to your arsenal of on-the-clock duds stat. Skip the heels and wear it alongside embellished slides that just get you and your lazy-girl sensibilities. Dress it up with asymmetric earrings and a statement belt for extra style cred.
10. Pixie Market Black Pleated Cut Out Shoulder Dress ($82) + Kelsi Dagger Brooklyn Abbi Loafers ($138): Pass up the chance to rock off-the-shoulder anything? Not a chance. While pulling off this shoulder-baring style requires a bit of clever layering (yes, it can be done!), cold-shoulder dresses will get the HR seal of approval, no problem. Test drive this flirty number on casual Friday with patterned loafers and drop earrings for a day-to-night getup that nails it every time.
11. M Missoni Printed-Silk Mini Dress ($248) + Chiara Ferragni Flirting Slippers ($377): Creative work environments call for vibrant color and Insta-worthy accessories (because life’s too short for a closet full of neutrals). Bust this bold and bright pairing out whenever you need an extra boost. Between the show-stopping print and look-at-me loafers (see what we did there?), this #OOTD is a bona fide conversation starter and the perfect pick when there’s a gallery opening or artsy event on your after-hours agenda.
12. Zara Dress With Slits ($50) + Topshop Gina Slingback Loafers ($120): Just because you can’t rock your Sunday not-so-best at the office, that doesn’t mean you have to embrace stuffy and uncomfortable separates. This lightweight midi dress is almost as comfortable as your most-loved sweats, but with actual workplace potential. DO dress it up with elegant slingbacks, sleek locks and a one-of-a-kind ear jacket.
13. & Other Stories Distant Highway Mini Dress ($85) + Everlane Modern Loafer ($170): These are not your average Breton stripes. Pixelated lines in a bold shade of blue is the ultimate pick-me-up when Friday seems a million years away. Keep a low profile with classic navy loafers, and layer on the geometric baubles for just the right amount of panache.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.