Mexican-style hot dogs in lettuce wraps are fun to serve, flavorful, and yes, a little lower in carbs, because the standard buns get ditched. When you’re planning your next cookout or balcony barbecue, wrap those dogs in lettuce leaves and toss together some Mexican-inspired toppings for a twist on tradition.
Don’t forget the sour cream, salsa, lime juice to squeeze over the top, a sprinkle of hot sauce, and Cotija cheese to crumble too. Use Bibb lettuce as the bun since the leaves aren’t so big that they take over your dog yet still wrap around the hot dog and toppings. Buy an extra package of dogs for your next cookout, because second helpings are practically guaranteed.
Mexican-Style Hot Dogs in Lettuce Wraps
(Makes 6 hot dogs)
Note: If you’re preparing these to take to the table on a serving dish, spoon your toppings over each hot dog, then use cooking string (or a festive, thin ribbon) to loosely tie the leaves together. Allow each guest to unwrap their individual hot dog.
- 6 hot dogs, cooked
- 6 Bibb lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces (about 1 heaping cup) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced into rounds, seeds removed
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- sour cream, to dollop (optional)
- salsa, to spoon over the hotdogs (optional)
- cooking string or thin ribbon
- Place one cooked hot dog in the center of a lettuce leaf.
- Spoon the remaining ingredients over the top and enjoy.
Interested in more tasty hot dog recipes? Check us out on Pinterest!
(Recipe and photos via Patricia Conte / Brit + Co)