Guys, Miami DGAF About Your Cold-Weather Style
We’ve shown you how the Instababes of Boston and Chicago slay cold-weather dressing, but what about the It girls holdin’ it down in warmer climes? Bright colors, daytime metallics and unexpected outfit combos reign supreme, while things like cold-weather style essentials like puffer jackets, pom-pom-topped winter hats and duck boots go largely unnoticed. For those of us who experience the polar vortex on the regular, Miami’s DGAF approach to fashion is ridiculously refreshing. With balmy Miami as a backdrop, these 12 fashionable femmes follow their own set of style rules. Here, we’ve pulled some of our fave looks from some of the most prominent street style stars down south.
1. Double Velvet: Sunshine is synonymous with all-velvet-everything, or at least it is for Annie Vazquez. The real kicker? Teaming it with a classic plaid shirt. Solid.
2. Look-at-Me Jumpsuit: Let’s be real — anytime is a good time for a jumpsuit, whether you’re in the midst of your standard Saturday Netflix-and-chill session or killin’ it on the dance floor with your squad. This high-octane number perfectly captures Miami’s vibrancy, while statement shades and light-up sneaks (YAS) bring the ‘tude.
3. Souped-Up Suits: Miami girls know that life is too short to surrender yourself to shades of black, white and gray. The next time you’re hit with the workweek blahs, swap out your standard snoozy black suit for vibrant tropical hues. We’re totally diggin’ this yellow floral option. Aviator shades and a bold red lip are non-negotiable.
4. Daytime Metallics: Shine on, girl. Why reserve your most glam getups for after dark? Do like Irma Martínez and rock a metallic midi dress or glitzy top by day, dialing it down to nine-to-five levels with fresh-faced makeup and down-to-business accessories, like a streamlined watch and black-rimmed glasses.
5. Athleisure-Meets-’70s-Chic: Tired of bomber jackets and joggers? Follow Ria Michelle’s lead and ditch ’em. Girl nails an athleisure look by teaming retro track shorts with fresh white sneakers and a saucy crochet top. The only thing missing? Mismatched drop earrings and a punchy pop art bag.
6. All the Embroidery: Less is more is so yesterday. Kelly Saks Guerra dares you to go beyond bold, setting the bar high with OTT embroidered jeans and an exotic top handle bag. While Guerra looks to an ivory bow-neck top to balance the getup, a silver pleated blouse or a bright rib knit turtleneck would look just as ah-mazing.
7. Tees and Sequins: Who says your off-duty uniform has to consist of distressed denim and plain white tees? For an effortless ensemble that does day-to-night dressing right, pair a sassy band tee with a sequin skirt, girlboss-approved ankle boots and a glam ear cuff. Round it out with a longline coat and embellished minaudière FTW.
8. Disney Denim: YAS. You may have graduated college and scored your first big working girl gig, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still channel your inner Disney princess. With embroidery and patches being a major thing RN, why not elevate a trusty denim jacket with a princess-inspired patch or two (or three)?
9. Skiwear As Streetwear: We’re always looking for new ways to get more wear out of our wardrobe, and we may have just struck sartorial gold with this one. Sarah Akiba was on to something here when she styled up a ski jumpsuit Yeezy style. Rockin’ it one-shoulder and teaming it with a cropped sweater and ankle-strap pumps, the utilitarian piece instantly becomes a cool weather fashion statement. Who would have thought?
10. Flipped Knits: Simonett Pereira knows that all you need to do to make a snuggly sweater stand out is pull a switcheroo. By simply flipping a split-back sweater around, she turns up the street-style factor on an otherwise laid-back ensemble.
11. Head-to-Toe Black: Miami isn’t all bright colors and sequins — at least not for Joselin Reyes. The force behind Le Pretty Stellar defies Magic City style norms with a sleek all-black-everything ensemble that screams NYC chic.
12. Belted Tees: One word: badass. As if Aja Butler-Burns’ rocker tee and striped trouser combo didn’t already pack enough don’t-mess vibes, the jewelry designer went ahead and added a corset belt to the mix. Test drive a similar look when you’re looking to inject an off-duty getup with a dash of femme fatale flair.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!