7 Modest Oscar Dresses That Prove Not Showing Skin Can Be Super Sexy
The Oscars are known for delivering one elegant fashion moment after another, and while we love a hot cutout and an up-to-there slit, stars have started to show that more (fabric) = more (sexiness). At tonight’s 88th Academy Awards, Cate Blanchett’s Oscars style evolution took us to a beautiful place, we sensed a throwback to these 10 epic Oscar dresses from the ’90s and even Lady Gaga went for style over skin. Excuse us while we pick our jaws up off the red carpet for these demure dresses that kicked (but didn’t show ;) major butt.
1. Lady Gaga: Classic in the back, oh em gee in the front. Lady Gaga swept the red carpet with a white pantsuit with a long train attached. Her friend and longtime stylist Brandon Maxwell created FIVE (!) looks for the nominee, but this pantsuit gown slayed. We’d still check out the other four though… (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Alicia Vikander: We’ve come to know Alicia as a major risk-taker on the red carpet, and she has managed to seriously wow us yet again. Not only is the summer-y color of this Louis Vuitton dress fun and unexpected, but it looks absolutely stunning on her. Paired with sky-high heels, this dress screams “Oscar winner”! (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Kate Winslet: Our hearts will go on (and on) for this gorgeous black gown. Sure, Leo was on her arm for her Oscars entrance, but it was this custom black silk lamé strapless Ralph Lauren gown that we had our eyes on. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Mindy Kaling: How can we put on a dress without a train after this awards show? Seriously. Mindy stunned on the red carpet with new(ish) designer Elizabeth Kennedy (who made her red carpet debut on Laverne Cox and Maura Tierney for the Golden Globes). With a gorgeous train and a perfect fit, her dress didn’t need cutouts to be h.o.t. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
5. Naomi Watts: You cannot get much more simple and understated than this silhouette, and yet Naomi may just be crowned Best Dressed thanks to this Armani Privé number. We still haven’t decided if we love the embellishment or the blue and purple color palette more, but what we are sure of is that she looks like a stunning mermaid. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
6. Daisy Ridley: Playing with sheen and texture, Daisy delivered the best throwback look of the evening. A real ode to a timeless era, this silver dress is giving us major ’20s nostalgia. It may not be hugging her curves, but it is showing off just enough to be flawless. It’s also not often we see ankle-length gowns, and we love that she went against the grain in that department. (Photo via Ethan Miller/Getty)
7. Olivia Munn: Is it orange? Is it red? It doesn’t matter! The bold hue of this gown made Olivia a knockout on the carpet. The half-cape adds drama, while one exposed shoulder offers the perfect hint of sexy. Yes, it was one of the more conservative choices of the night, but a glamorous one for sure. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
Follow along with the Oscars all night with us on Brit + Co!