When you think of moonshine, you probably picture Appalachian men distilling the beverage under lock and key. But the modern-day version is that 60 proof liquor you can buy alongside the bourbon at Costco. The spirit has a very clean and mild flavor that makes it perfect for spiking a tailgate punch or cocktail, much like vodka. If you’ve never tried it, let one of these 12 recipes make your next tailgate a memorable one.
1. Apple Pie Moonshine Cocktail: If tailgating usually makes you think of fall foods like pumpkin and cider, then this cocktail is for you. You’ll need apple cider, apple pie moonshine, cinnamon simple syrup, and lemon juice to bring it together. (via The Little Epicurean)
2. Chocolate Moonshine: Boozy shots that taste like chocolate milk? Sign us up! This DIY moonshine combines Everclear, cream, and high-quality dark chocolate to make a concoction that’s as devilish as it sounds. (via Souffle Bombay)
3. Coconut Sunrise Moonshine: Try swapping your usual screwdriver for this drink… if you dare. Serve it up in a mason jar with a paper straw and tons of shredded coconut on top. (via Lip Gloss and Crayons)
4. Dreamsicle Moonshine: We’re willing to bet that you’ve never put coffee creamer in a cocktail before. This dreamsicle moonshine is made up of orange juice, moonshine, vanilla, sugar, and powdered French vanilla coffee creamer. You have to try it to believe it. (via The Moonshine Recipe Library)
5. Frozen Toasted Coconut Moonshine: Piña Colada, who? This frozen toasted coconut cocktail is reminiscent of the tropical drink, but with a stronger kick from the moonshine. (via Pink Heels, Pink Truck)
6. Lemon Blueberry Moonshine Slush Cocktail: This large-batch cocktail can serve 12-14 people, which makes it great for a tailgating party. The blueberry and lemonade combination is a fresh way to stay cool for those warmer games too. (via Carolina Girl Cooks)
7. Raspberry and Tarragon Moonshine Smash: Moonshine has a stigma of being a lower-class spirit for no good reason. This fruity and herby smash is a classy way to show that it can compete with any liquor on the market. (via 10th Kitchen)
8. Moonshine Lemonade With Cherries and Mint: It doesn’t get more refreshing than lemonade and mint. Add in some boozy cherries and a shot of moonshine to create your new favorite bevvy. (via Bluegrass Bites)
9. Peach Cobbler Moonshine: Rest assured — people will pass around this sweet peach cobbler moonshine at your tailgate like crazy. Try making it a couple of days ahead to allow the flavor to mellow out. (via Call Me PMC)
11. Strawberry Salty Dog Moonshine: A typical salty dog is made with grapefruit juice and gin or vodka. This unique version gives the classic a twist with strawberry and moonshine. (via Pink Heels, Pink Truck)
12. Strawberry and Moonshine Jam Cocktail: If you’ve never tried crafting your cocktail with jam, you’re missing out. Doing so ensures that you don’t need to be a certified mixologist to create a tasty cocktail, like this one with strawberry jam and moonshine. (via Dessert for Two)
Follow us on Pinterest for more cocktail recipes!