Every Must-Try Brazilian Beauty Ingredient to Boost Your Hair and Skin
If you’re on the prowl for multi-tasking beauty products that lock in moisture, fight free radicals, and smell heavenly, it’s time to turn your attention to Brazil. The country is home to a variety of hydrating, problem-solving haircare, and skincare ingredients that help us look our best. You don’t have to book a roundtrip to Rio to get in on the benefits; there are a ton of beauty products on the market that feature some of the best additives that Brazil has to offer. Find out which are worth adding to your routine below.
1. Cupuaçu Butter: Think of this ingredient as the Amazon’s version of shea butter. According to NYC-city based board-certified dermatologist Marisa Garshick, the fruit-based butter is a moisturizing emollient that can benefit skin and hair thanks to its high concentration of fatty acids. Brit + Co Pick: Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream ($45)
2. Guarana: Much like your morning fix, this free radical-fighting Brazilian fruit is both chock-full of antioxidants and caffeine. “It [contains] two times the concentration of caffeine found in coffee seeds,” Garshick says. “This [is] helpful for skincare as caffeine-containing products help to reduce the appearance of under-eye circles and cellulite.” Brit + Co Pick: Clarins Shaping Facial Lift Total V Contouring Serum ($81)
3. Buriti Oil: “Buriti, derived from the buriti palm tree, is a rich source of antioxidants, particularly beta-carotene, which [helps] protect against sun damage, signs of aging, and environmental stressors,” Garshick explains, noting that just a few drops will adequately hydrate and refresh skin. Brit + Co Pick: RMS Beauty Beauty Oil ($78)
4. Acai: “This potent berry [is] known to have saved Brazilian Chief Itaki’s prosperous Amazonian tribe from malnourishment, so he named it after his daughter, Açaí,” Heela Yang, the CEO and co-founder of cult-favorite Brazilian beauty brand Sol de Janeiro, tells Brit + Co. “It is an antioxidant powerhouse packed into one superfruit that helps keep skin young.” Brit + Co Pick: Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Oil ($44)
5. Maracuja Oil: Best known for locking in hydration and protecting against pollution, this is yet another fatty acid-rich ingredient worth working into your daily roundup. “It also contains high amounts of vitamin C and other antioxidants [like anti-aging carotenoids] which can help to brighten the skin and protect it from free radical damage, ensuring a radiant complexion,” Garshick says. Brit + Co Pick: DERMADoctor Kakadu C High Potency Evening Oil ($74)
6. Coconut Oil: “This trendy ingredient may be all the rage in the United States now, but Brazilians have been enjoying it as part of their beauty regimen for centuries,” Yang points out. And for good reason: It melts into skin and strands to soften, condition, and moisturize to the core. Brit + Co Pick: Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Shampoo ($42)
7. Murumuru Oil: A skincare savior jam-packed with fatty acids, murumuru oil hydrates and seals in moisture for long-lasting nourishment. “It can also help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, as well as improve collagen production and skin elasticity as it contains vitamin A and antioxidants,” Garshick says. Brit + Co Pick: Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer ($17)
Follow us on Pinterestfor more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.