10 Creative Classes to Give Mom for Mother’s Day
Skip the flowers this year and give Mom a gift that (actually) keeps on giving in the form of a creative online class! What has your creative mom always wanted to do but never did because she was taking care of YOU for 18+ years? Chances are there’s a class out there that’s right on the money (and will get you major “best kid ever” points for thinking of it). Leave all your classic “mom hobby” generalizations at the door and get her something for Mother’s Day that goes way beyond her expectations and is actually FUN :)
1. Intro to Travel Photography Online Class ($39): Raise your hand if your parents take weird, blurry photos when you’re on vacation? *Raises both hands* Yep, thought so. But it doesn’t always have to be this way! If your mom loves to travel, give her this class, taught by Marianna Jamadi of Nomadic Habit, and seriously improve her photo game AND those 3-hour slideshows they make you watch afterwards ;)
2. Color + Pattern for Interior Design Online Class ($25): Now that all you dirty kids are out of the house, mom might want to do some serious redecorating and finally make her space her own. Give her a class full of tips and tricks on creating the perfect color palette, furniture and pattern mixes for each room in the house, taught by interior designer Jamie Meares of Furbish Studio.
3. Handbag Design With Rebecca Minkoff Online Class ($99, class + kit): Your fashion forward mom will FREAK OUT when you gift her this class, taught by handbag designer Rebecca Minkoff, and the accompanying DIY Fringe Clutch Kit with all the supplies she needs.
4. Jewelry Making + Metalworking Online Class ($66, class + kit): Here’s another creative endeavor your stylish mom will love. This class and Jewelry Making Kit combo, taught and designed by Tiffany Whipps of Tiffany Ann Studios, will give her everything she needs to make hammered wire and beaded earrings for herself (and likely all of her friends).
5. Watercolor Painting Online Class ($117, class + kit): Every mom deserves some time to zen out and clear her mind, whether it’s reading a great book or going with the flow of watercolor! This class, taught by Jenna Rainey of Mon Voir, walks you through mixing colors, making different brushstrokes, painting beautifully natural floral designs AND — you guessed it — comes with a Watercolor Painting Kit to make the whole journey easier.
6. Flower Arranging Online Class ($19): By now, your mom probably has plenty of experience buying flowers for gifts, holidays or parties, but she may have never learned to make custom arrangements herself. If she’s a big fan of the florals, bring mom to your local flower market and set her up with this class, taught by Christina Stembel and Rhiannon Smith of Farmgirl Flowers, to teach her everything she needs to know about selecting, processing and arranging her own unique florals!
7. Calligraphy 101 Online Class ($60, class + kit): This one shouldn’t come as a surprise considering everyone is OBSESSED with calligraphy right now. Mom will love this throwback to a time before her time, so sign her up for the class bundled with the Calligraphy 101 Kit, taught by Lauren Essl of Blue Eye Brown Eye, and give her a way to practice her penmanship and tap into this oh-so-hot-right-now lettering trend.
8. Leatherworking Online Class ($75, class + kit): If your mom loves those fine leather goods, gift her this class and Leather Tray Kit and transport her back to Summer camp in the 70’s. In this class, taught by Natalie Davis of Canoe Goods, she’ll learn how to add textured designs to leather and construct this handy tray for keys, jewelry and other bits ‘n’ bobs.
9. Jewelry-Making Online Class ($41, class + kit): Calling all former (and current) macrame fanatics! Have Mom put those rope and cord skills to a new stylish use with this class and Knotted Cord Necklace Kit combo, taught and designed by mother-daughter duo Nur-E Gulshan and Nur-E Farhana Rahman. Together they own the awesome jewelry company Knotty Gal, which gives us serious mother-daughter relationship goals.
10. Letterpress Online Class ($203, class + kit): Set Mom up with a hobby that’s useful for every occasion in need of the perfect card — letterpress! In this class, taught by Eunice Moyle of Hello!Lucky, and accompanying Letterpress At Home Kit, she’ll learn how to print her very own cards for every holiday with a handy-dandy tabletop letterpress machine.