THIS Is the New Way French Girls Dress
French-girl style — for many of us, it calls to mind Breton stripes, elegant heirloom accessories, leather jackets and perfectly painted pouts (in signature shades of red, of course). But style a la Parisienne simply can’t be put in a box. The proof? Paris Fashion Week spring/summer ’17 edition. Stereotypical these collections were not, with iconic design houses like Dior, Saint Laurent, Céline and Louis Vuitton redefining French fashion one catwalk at a time with bold color, unexpected silhouettes and expertly executed styling. There’s still plenty of je ne sais quoi to be had, but there was also a strong sense of rebellion, independence and desire for exploration woven into each line — everything the iconic Parisian femme is so often revered for. From bold color to sassy graphic tees and luxe layering, this is where French style is headed this spring.
1. Monochrome 2.0: Head-to-toe black is about to take a backseat to bold and beautiful color. Black will always be classic, but vibrant outerwear teamed with equally-as-captivating underlayers is undeniably appealing. For extra style cred, get your accessories and makeup in on the trend. (Photo via François Durand/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Alexander McQueen (@alexandermcqueen) on
2. Frilly frocks get flirty. Subtle sex appeal is what the iconic Parisian does best, but this time around those alluring feminine vibes come with a saucy side of tough-girl edge. Take style cues from the McQueen runway and team your most flirtatious frocks with layers of don’t-mess hardware for an unforgettable GNO or date-night look.
3. Breton stripes take a backseat. We feel that forever kind of love for Breton stripes, but we’re certainly not opposed to branching out — and neither is Céline. Leaving the linear print to the likes of Sonia Rykiel, the revered fashion house took a more abstract approach to their Spring/Summer ’17 collection, embracing painterly prints, dip dye and geometric details. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Balenciaga (@balenciaga) on
4. Unexpected silhouettes reign supreme. Can we get a hell yeah? There’s certainly something to be said for tailored silhouettes, but the allure of a cool, contemporary cut can’t be denied. Exhibit A: this bold-shouldered overcoat that graced the catwalk at Balenciaga. Effortlessly redefining power dressing, the sharp, larger-than-life shoulders practically scream girlboss in training — and the red monochromatic look beneath doesn’t hurt either.
5. Downtown meets uptown. Ethereal skirts and edgy t-shirts set the tone for a totally new approach to dressing. The key to pulling off the look? Creating balance. Be it a romantic blouse and distressed boyfriend jeans or a twirl-worthy A-line dress and sleek combat boots, establish a feel for your look — grunge glam, contemporary elegance, etc. — then choose one piece to inject just the right amount of tough-girl cool to your #OOTD. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
6. Frills are in. That minimalist closet basic thing everyone seems to think French femmes have going on? Pure fiction. Consider Loewe’s latest collection a hall pass to explore the wonderful world of frills — fringe, Elizabethan-inspired ruffs, tassels — you name it. We have to admit — we’re totally digging this more-is-more approach.
7. The bolder the blazer, the better. The Le Smoking has come a long way since Saint Laurent first debuted it back in 1966. For 2017, the tailored topper boasts brilliant jacquard detailing, next-level trimmings and new-age styling. Bring it on. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Carin Backoff (@carinbackoffphoto) on
8. Traditional trenches are dead. Gloomy days don’t have anything on the high-octane colors and playful prints dominating next season’s arsenal of weather gear. Ditch your trusty trench and combat gray skies with artfully adorned outerwear and radiant accessories.
9. Play with proportion. You don’t need over-the-top accessories and vivid color to stand out from the crowd. Take a note out of Lanvin’s style book and play with proportion to elevate your ensemble to Instababe status. We like to think of it as layers upon layers of style. For an unexpected GNO look that slays, team a sheer tulle dress over sleek wide-leg trousers and a Victorian-inspired top. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
10. Swap out sheer for flashy tights. The great nylon debate is an eternal fashion drama, but we think Carven has had the final say. Nix nude and classic black stockings for opaque tights in brilliant shades of red, purple and blue. Bonus points for styling them alongside neutral or see-through separates — ladylike lace is especially eye-catching. (Photo via Antoine Antonio/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)