10 Sites That Will Change the Way You Shop
Let’s be real. Sometimes shopping is the last thing you want to do on your Sunday Funday. But if you’re still looking to up your wardrobe game and are dreading that trip to the mall, we have the perfect solution for you: personal shopping. Say what? If you’re thinking that personal shoppers and stylists are reserved for the fashion elite and celebs, think again. There’s a whole host of personal stylist and shopping services online that are either totally free or available at a small fee. So if your wardrobe needs a bit of a pick-me-up and you just can’t even, or you’re looking for a little professional help to take your clothes to the next level, give one of these 10 services a try.
1. DailyLook: This fashion-forward subscription box is a lazy girl’s dream. Just sign up and create your style profile and the personal shoppers at DailyLook will put together a customized box filled with to-die-for threads that fit your sartorial standards. From basics to statement bags and everything in between, this monthly box features five to eight carefully curated items ranging in price from $50-$250. Keep what you love and send the rest back (there’s free shipping both ways). There’s a $20 stylist fee per month, but the fee applies toward items that you decide to hang on to. And if you’re ever short on cash, you can conveniently skip a month at any time.
2. Stylit: After answering a few simple questions about your style, a team of stylists gets to work building outfits that cater to both your tastes and body type. Every week you’ll receive a new lookbook and styling tips, which you’ll rate to give your stylist a better understanding of your preferences. Love the pieces in your lookbook? Just click and buy — it’s that simple. (via Stylit)
3. J.Crew: Say what? Yup, J.Crew has its own personal styling service, so now you can get your Jenna Lyons on anytime you want. While the service is typically provided in-store, you can have a personal shopper hand-pick items and send them straight to your home. Sign us up!
4. Le Tote: A favorite around the Brit + Co offices, this service is like Netflix for clothing, sending you stylish pieces and accessories that you can wear as long as you like and return for more when you’re over your current batch. You keep the pieces you like and pay a discounted rate, or wear and ship them all back to refresh your wardrobe like THAT.
5. Keaton Row: Have an event coming up or just need a few new pieces to freshen up your wardrobe? Keaton Row has you covered. Based on the information you provide about your tastes, shape and style, you’ll be matched up with three different stylists that share your fashion sensibilities. From there you can choose whichever one jibes with you best and he or she will start pulling together personalized lookbooks for you.
6. Stitch Fix: One of the things we love about this stylish subscription service is the flexibility. After you fill out a quick 10-minute survey online, your designated stylist uses the information to put together a box of five items (costing around $55 each) and ships it to you on a date of your choosing. They also include style cards in each package with outfit ideas, saving you time figuring out just how the heck to wear your new threads. There is a $20 styling fee each month for your box, which is applied toward anything you keep from your shipment. Not loving your selections? Let the stylist know on the comment card you send back with any items you’re returning.
7. Share Some Style: Okay. So this one isn’t exactly free, but if you’re in need of some expert advice to get your closet into tip-top shape by building on what you already own, this is a great option. You’ll get matched up with a stylist in your area who will take a look at what you already have and help you weed out anything that doesn’t fit. They’ll then analyze what your wardrobe is lacking and create a shopping list of items you need to fill out your closet. And best of all, they’ll help you learn how to put together stylish and versatile outfits. After the initial consult, stylists follow up with monthly check-ins. So now there’s no more excuse to put off that much-needed closet detox.
8. Cladwell: Guys, we didn’t forget about you. This fashionable startup is all about developing a wardrobe that is not only functional, but makes you feel confident too. By filling out an easy survey, the stylists at Cladwell will create a personalized roadmap to your ideal wardrobe, giving you a prioritized, item-by-item guide that caters to your style preferences, budget, build and lifestyle. And, since they ask you about the clothes you already own, the list focuses on items your closet is missing so you can build a functional wardrobe that you’ll actually want to wear.
9. Trunk Club: More or less the equivalent of Stitch Fix for men, Trunk Club has a team of stylists and personal shoppers that work together to create boxes of hand-selected pieces that fit your unique fashion sensibilities. Try them on at home, keep what you like and send the rest back. Super simple.
10. Shop It to Me: A twist on the traditional personal shopping site, Shop It to Me scours the internet for deals on your favorite brands. All you have to do is provide your size and the names of the brands you love and the site takes care of the rest. Email updates allow you to stay on top of the latest sales so you can snap up discounted designer duds with little to no effort at all. There’s also a free app to help you stay in the know via your tablet or smartphone.
Would you use a personal shopper/stylist? Do you already use one of these services? What made you decide to take the plunge? Let us know in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)