Brisk evenings are just around the corner, so it’s time to take advantage of the few warm nights we’ve got left. And you know what’s perfect for a temperate autumn eve? An outdoor date night! We’ve teamed up with Target Wedding Registry to create a totally DIYable date night. The best part? You can throw all of this stuff in your trunk (or a cab) to turn it into a date night on-the-go. Parks, beaches and star-studded rooftops are all fair game.
If you’re getting married in the near future or looking for creative ideas for newlyweds, all of the goodies on this list make great wedding gifts. As a gift giver, you could even team up with friends to package up a whole date night kit!
2. Picnic Basket: Picnic baskets add a timeless vibe to any outdoor scene, and can help you keep all of your essentials organized. In fact, just about everything on this list (besides the table and chairs) fit into this very picnic basket.
3. Paper Plates, Napkins and Flatware: Since you’re on the move, you should probably forget about dealing with dirty dishes after you’re done with dinner. These insanely awesome Geometric Paper Plates ($3 for 10) set a chic scene in an instant. Also on the table, Orange and Green Plastic Cutlery ($4) and Light Green Striped Cocktail Napkins ($2).
4. Sparkling H2O: We keep it classy on date night by offering sparkling water. This retro style Glass Water Bottle Set ($12) is just waiting for a little bubbly by way of your SodaStream ($70 for a starter kit!).
5. Fresh Flowers: Nothing sets a romantic scene like fresh flowers.
6. Fancy Foodie Bites: As with any date, you’ve gotta have some gourmet goodies to share. Instead of brown-bagging it or bringing breakable serveware, bring a sturdy Acacia Serving Board ($20) and a couple small cutting boards to lay out all of your food. For this scene, we went with cheese, prosciutto, bread and a couple mini baguette sandos.
7. Late Summer Sangria: For cocktails, go for a summery Sangria made with Rose and fresh fruit. We recommend mixing up your sangria together (or right before your date arrives) so that it’s fresh and fruity. Serve in a Plastic Blue-Rimmed Mason Jar Pitcher ($8) and Polycarbonate Wine Glasses ($30) so you don’t have to worry about anything breakable.
8. Salt N’ Pepa: In addition to cranking up the ’90s jams (Shoop, anyone?), add a little spice to your table with these Metallic Salt and Pepper Shakers ($13). We particularly dig the color blocked wood stand they come with, which happens to go perfectly with our sando-covered cutting board ;)
9. Something Sweet: Bring a little something sweet to finish off the meal. We recommend a variety of chocolates, berries and chocolate-covered almonds arranged in colorful Dip Bowls ($20).
10. A Blanket That Doubles as a Tablecloth: We’re completely obsessed with this Aqua Beach Stripe Throw ($25). Use it as a tablecloth or drape a couple as blankets over your chairs. And if you decide to skip the folding table and chairs, this is a perfect picnic blanket.
And that’s a wrap! Don’t you totally want to go on a date night with us?
Tell us about YOUR DIY date ideas below!
This post is a collaboration with Target Wedding Registry.