3 Ways to Wear Pigtails and Not Look Like a 3rd Grader
Pigtails are one of those hairstyles that instantly takes your mind back to third grade. But, you can totally rock pigtails as an adult and we’re here to deliver three ways to do just that!
Now, if only we could invent a new more grown up word for this pretty and playful hairstyle ;)
1. Separate your hair into two sections. The part does not need to have that perfect line separating the two. The messy look helps add a little sophistication to this look.
2. Place a small elastic into the first section leaving out a small section of hair along the perimeter of your face.
3. Use your fingers to gently pull out some of the hairs to create more shape and to help create the undone look.
4. Add another elastic around 1 ½” to 2” below the first elastic.
5. Pull the section in between the two elastics apart to create a small poof. It is totally okay if some of the hairs even fall out completely.
6. Add as many of these sections as you can and continue poofing them out until you reach the ends of your hair.
7. Repeat on the opposite side.
8. Use a teasing comb or brush to back comb the section of hair you left out.
9. Smooth the hair back and secure in a small pomp with a couple bobby pins. Give a once over with hair spray to keep everything in place.
1. Separate hair into two sections.
2. Twist one section.
3. Now wrap the twist into a knotted-looking messy bun.
4. Secure with a couple bobby pins.
5. Repeat on the other side.
6. Use a brush or comb to gently cover the line separating the two sections in the back of your head.
7. Pin back a couple strands of hair from the front to add another level of dimension in this look.
Messy Dutch Pigtails
1. Separate hair into two sections.
2. Starting on one side of your head pick up a smaller section from the top and begin a Dutch braid, braiding the hair underneath each other as opposed to over.
3. Start to pick up smaller pieces of hair and incorporate it into the Dutch braid.
4. When you get to the part in the back when you cannot add any more hair, begin a traditional braid until you get to the ends of your hair and secure with an elastic.
5. Gently pull the braid apart to loosen, giving it some volume and texture.
6. Repeat this process on the other side.
How you do update styles from your childhood? Talk to us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)