When it comes to getting the most bang for your buck — and keeping a case of the outfit blahs away — a fine-tuned capsule wardrobe will serve you well time and time again. None of this “I have nothing to wear” nonsense, when putting together an #OOTD is as easy as swapping out a suede skirt for carefree overalls. Just because autumn’s synonymous with chunky knits, wool capes and fall ankle boots galore doesn’t mean you have to fall victim to wearing the same old threads. By curating a collection of well-loved statement pieces (a metallic bomber! embroidered jeans!), you’ll be able to venture out of your comfort zone and debut a fly new look just in time for Oktoberfest. Make way for 23 plus-size style essentials that will have you embracing the new season with open arms.
1. ASOS Curve Minimal Jumpsuit in Blocked Abstract Print ($73): In addition to an LBJ (little black jumpsuit), you need a “fun” one-piece that packs a punch. This flowy abstract printed number will have you ready to conquer the dance floor in no time — just toss on a black blazer and some lace-up ghillies for an after hours-approved look.
2. Alice & You Boyfriend Jean With Floral Embroidery ($63): While festival season may be over, your penchant for the ‘70s has only grown fonder. Adopt a laid-back ‘tude with these relaxed-fit embroidered boyfriend jeans that call to mind your slouchiest knit sweater and fringed moccasins.
3. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Modern Pencil Skirt ($28): Surely, denim button-front skirts have received their 15 minutes of fame by now. Either way, we’re moving on to bigger and *better* things — like this contemporary denim pencil skirt featuring a subtle slit. We’d be lying if we said it didn’t have major nine-to-five potential (hello, silk blouses and ladylike satchels), but don’t be mistaken, it’s just as versatile for your weekend shenanigans. Team it with a vintage band tee, a varsity jacket and moto boots for a rebellious look.
4. Boohoo Plus Camo Print Zip Through Bomber ($35): We’ve seen Gigi Hadid sporting bomber jackets on enough occasions to know they’re one of the most coveted toppers this season. Pop this pink camo print bomber on the next time you’re feeling anything less than fab for instant swagger. Continue to round out your athleisure-inspired look with a mock-neck crop top, high-performance leggings and running sneakers for a foolproof uniform.
5. Violeta Light Denim Dungarees ($80): For those mornings when you toss on the first garment within reach ‘cause you just don’t care, we’ve uncovered a pair of slouchy dungarees that will do the work for you. Keep things on the DL with an off-the-shoulder top and huarache sandals before swapping them out for a turtleneck sweater and off-duty tennies. Picking up a few things at the grocery has never looked so chic.
6. Forever 21 Plus Size Flared Jeans ($33): As it turns out, your flower child days aren’t behind you after all. When skinny jeans start feeling overdone — and boyfriend jeans are a smidge too lazy — a pair of flared jeans will always do the trick. Whether you tuck in a polished bow-neck blouse or take it to the streets a la a cropped sweater, the end result will have you scooping up ALL the bell bottoms this fall. Throwback clogs are non-negotiable.
7. Dorothy Perkins Curve Navy and White Gingham Shirt ($49): Gingham is synonymous with slightly cheesy photo ops at the pumpkin patch, and thus a gingham popover is absolutely in order. Capiche? Feast your eyes upon the borrowed-from-the-boys button-down you can neatly tuck into a pencil skirt for work or pair with jeans and a field jacket come the weekend.
8. Missguided Plus Size Faux Leather Cropped Biker Jacket ($88): Fake it ‘til you make it with this tough-girl leather jacket that reads cool-girl-in-training. Aside from teaming it with distressed black jeans (been there, done that), a cropped biker jacket with this much panache will lend an edgy ‘tude to just about anything. Think: neck-plunging ruffled maxis, one-and-done jumpsuits and timeless midi skirts.
9. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Bell Sleeve Blouse ($28): Who says boardroom dress codes have to cramp your style? Regardless of whether you’re restricted to wearing plain black slacks or below-the-knee pencil skirts, this dramatic bell-sleeve blouse will always have you looking boss. Just add some dazzling chandelier earrings and a sleek clutch to take you from monitoring the front desk to sipping margs at happy hour like that.
10. H&M+ Off-the-Shoulder Jumpsuit ($35): Transitional dressing is no easy feat. Between downright unpredictable forecasts and an itch to continue wearing summer clothes, you need an OTS jumpsuit this easy-breezy on standby. It’s a shoo-in for date night (salsa dancing preferably included) and casual work environments where a little shoulder action is permitted. DO style it with dangling statement earrings and chunky platform heels.
11. Missguided Plus Size Lawless High Waisted Denim Jeggings ($29): Watch out, Kim K! These luxe leggings are not only fit to flatter, but they’re a godsend for us lazy girls who want to look like we have our stuff together — despite running half an hour late on most days. Though the styling options are endless, we’re pretty partial to a V-neck tee, a baseball cap and cool Yeezy-inspired kicks.
12. H&M+ Patterned Tunic ($40): Get ready to do that ‘70s thang with this hippie dippy floral tie-neck tunic that’s very Marcia Brady. For an A+ back-to-school look, pair it with extra wide denim flares (duh!) or a sweet pinafore dress.
13. Boohoo Plus Dahlia Satin Reversible Bomber ($50): Nope, your eyes aren’t playing tricks on you — this reversible two-in-one bomber is this close to becoming your new hero piece in disguise. Sport the satiny black side during the daytime alongside streamlined joggers before switching over to the metallic side for a night on the town. Sounds like a sartorial win-win to us!
14. H&M+ Ribbed Bodysuit ($25): Girl, you best be bringing it with a come-hither lace-up bodysuit that would do Beyoncé proud. This little black jersey number looks best teamed with high-waisted mom jeans, a suede button-front skirt or office-appropriate culottes. TBH, you can’t go wrong, as long as you top it off with a ‘90s-inspired tattoo choker.
15. Old Navy Jersey Plus-Size Side-Slit Maxi ($50): Can you count the ways to style this jersey side-slit maxi? Infinite. Allow it to serve as a blank slate to all your printed scarves, felt fedoras, bomber jackets and oversized hoop earrings this fall. Or, better yet, wear it as-is for a dialed down look that exudes French-girl ease.
16. Forever 21 Plus Size Faux Suede Shorts ($23): These faux suede shorts will be right in line with your free-spirited sensibilities. Not only are they super soft and comfortable, but they have around-the-clock potential. Enjoy the summery weather while you still can by styling them with a cold-shoulder top and an effortless fedora for a backyard BBQ, and then bundle up in a nubby knit sweater and ankle boots come the first sign of fall.
17. Who What Wear for Target Plus Size Trench Dress ($37): Part utilitarian, part sporty, this olive green trench dress demands attention, thanks to its minimalist features and don’t mess around ‘tude. Whether you’re channeling your inner lady boss or meeting up with friends for post-work drinks, it can be elevated with an embroidered denim jacket and lace-up ghillies. Just be sure to top it off with your fave retro sunnies for an It girl-approved look.
18. Forever 21 Plus Size Varsity Jacket ($35): Achieve heartbreaker status with this collegiate-inspired varsity jacket, featuring embroidered patches, that calls for pared-down denim and vintage Chuck Taylors. Trying to ditch the school-girl look? Team it with a bodycon dress and d’Orsay pumps for a getup that means serious business.
19. H&M+ Patterned Dress ($30): Simplify your morning routine with this throw-on-and-go printed dress that can be styled with zero effort. Seriously, just a spritz of perfume and you’re out the door in record time! Between downtown appointments, luncheons with colleagues and art gallery openings, this wardrobe workhorse is equipped for it all. Complement the modest calf-length and side slits with ankle strap steppers for a look that exudes confidence.
20. Violeta Baggy Soft Trousers ($80): Comfort is a luxury, people! Introducing the baggy ochre-colored trousers you won’t want to put down. If adulting is wearing sweatpants-turned-boardroom-slacks to work, then maybe the real world isn’t so bad after all. A crisp white button-down and power pumps are recommended for a look that’s corporate AF.
21. Hackwith Design House Swing Vest ($285): Combat the whole chilly mornings and balmy afternoons situation with this versatile longline swing vest that will never steer you wrong. It can be layered over an airy maxi dress for your afternoon meeting or tossed on with skinny jeans for a low-key weekend spent running errands. The optional tie waist allows you to look as polished or off-duty as you wish. Your move.
22. Alice & You Retro Block Print Dress ($49): Crisp fall days, pumpkin-spice everything and a retro printed dress with post-festival season appeal — aka the recipe for the perfect autumn day. As you gear up for ankle booties weather, you need a free-wheelin’ boho frock that can serve double-duty for tailgating shindigs, trips to the apple farm and fall weddings (‘cause you’re bound to have at least one of those on your calendar). Proceed to style this wardrobe workhorse with a leather moto jacket and a cross-body bag for a getup that reads straight-up fierce.
23. Violeta Structured Cotton Blazer ($120): This just in: The librarian-chic look is so hot right now. Hence, this structured black blazer that can be styled no less than a million and one ways. For a slightly more bookish look, try wearing it with a wool mini skirt, a Peter Pan collar blouse and velvet smoking slippers. Oh, and you can’t forget black-rimmed specs! Ready to let loose? Take style cues from It-girl Alexa Chung by tossing on a striped tee and two-tone cropped flares.
What are your fall must-haves? Follow us on Pinterest for more fall style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.