Believe it or not, it’s happening. And if the recent collaboration between J.Crew and Lacoste is any indication, then we’re about to see a major resurgence of the classic polo shirt. Remember the good ol’ days of “popping the collar?” Well, they’re baaaack. No longer restricted to just the preppy crowd, these collared shirts are off-limits to no one. To exhibit just how versatile polo shirts can be, we’ve rounded up 16 of the most cutting-edge ways to style ‘em.
2. Earn Your Stripes: Striped polos are your friends, folks. Just ask British fashion blogger Susie Bubble, who happens to be a whiz at color coordination and coming up with unique pairings. (via Style Bubble)
4. The Man Repeller Way: When the Man Repeller herself begins sporting polo shirts, you know that she’s on to something. How on-trend does Leandra Medine look in her masculine high-waisted trousers and effortless white polo? (via Man Repeller)
5. Your Polo, Your Way: Retro-striped polo. Check. Spiffy polka dot bow tie. Check. Cuffed trousers + mustard socks. Double check. Walk to the beat of your own drum by personalizing your polo in a way that resonates with your signature style. (via Lacoste)
6. Refreshingly Simple: Here’s yet another reason to gravitate toward the ever-versatile polo shirt. Throw in a statement-worthy accessory — like this Clare Vivier clutch — and you’re ready to run your errands for the day. (via A Piece of Toast)
7. Ultra Glam: Despite having a rep for being a casual resort staple, polos can indeed be dressed up. Simply pair your polo shirt with a midi or full skirt for a polished look to go with your prettiest bow heels. Oh la la. (via B. Magazine)
8. Less is More: Oh, you gotta love the ‘90s. We’re digging the hipster vibe that these girls are channeling with their casual ensembles. Let your standalone polo do the talking by putting it front and center. (via Lacoste)
9. Mix + Match: Because it’s true what they say: All trends do have a crazy way of coming back around. Case in point: Check out how this trendsetter has paired her classic polo with a leopard print mini and slides. (via Who What Wear)
10. Unconventional Chic: Even if you’re not the sporty type, our advice is to fake it until you make it. Try pairing your polo with sneakers and a baseball cap for a cool off-duty look. (via Lacoste Official)
11. For the Working Gal: Fact: White polo shirts were practically made for the boardroom. They’re clean and crisp, and they serve as the perfect foundation piece for any skirt or fitted trouser. Think of it as your alternative to the uber traditional white button down. (via Suburban Faux Pas)
12. M is for Minimalist: Clean lines and a minimalist aesthetic make this ensemble a #winning look in our book. We especially love how this fashionista has added her own personal touch by accessorizing with a handkerchief scarf. Not to mention those black booties… killin’ it. (via Lacoste)
13. Classic With a Twist: This stylish lady pulls off her white polo shirt so impeccably that we almost didn’t realize she was wearing one. One thing’s for sure — her camel coat and safari hat earn her major points in the style department. (via Lacoste)
14. Toughen It Up: Two things — actually make that three — that we never thought we’d see compiled into one outfit: a moto jacket, Lacoste polo and head-to-toe black. It just goes to show that there are no boundaries where polos are concerned. (via Lacoste)
15. Fashion Girl Status: The trick to mastering the unfazed, cool-girl look is to layer like a pro. Take note, ’cause this outfit is the definition of chic. DO layer with a lightweight sweater and blazer over your polo as this model so expertly does. (via Who What Wear)
16. Say “Yes” to Oversized: Once upon a time, fitted polos in every color of the rainbow were all the rage. Fast forward a bit, and now the oversized fit is totally game. We’re especially digging this unexpected combo consisting of a neutral polo, leather leggings and leopard print pumps. (via Poor Little It Girl)
Now it’s your turn — tell us in the comments below how you plan on styling your polo shirt this season!