Put down the moisturizer! The real trick to a gorgeous complexion may have more to do with what’s in your kitchen cupboards than what’s inside your beauty bag. According to Nina Curtis, Executive Chef at the Ranch at Live Oak (the fitness retreat where A-listers like Mandy Moore and Bobbi Brown go to detox and revive), whipping up this super easy, caffeine-free turmeric “chai” could be your ticket to a fresh face. Turmeric has long been used in Indian Ayurvedic medicine to treat skin conditions, and scientific research confirms its impressive anti-inflammatory (anti-aging) properties. It also has antifungal and antibacterial powers (all equating to skin that glows). Bottoms up!
– 1 (2-inch) piece cinnamon stick
– 6 cardamom pods
– 3 1/2 ounces unpeeled fresh organic turmeric root
– 8 cups almond milk
– About 8 teaspoons organic raw agave nectar, raw coconut nectar or raw honey
1. In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water, cinnamon and cardamom. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Place the turmeric root in a blender, add slightly cooled spice mixture and pulse briefly until the turmeric and spices are finely chopped. Let stand until cooled.
3. Strain the turmeric-spice infusion through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass jar, pressing firmly on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard the solids.
4. For each serving, in a glass combine 1 cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon turmeric-spice infusion, and 1 teaspoon favorite sweetener: raw agave nectar, coconut nectar or honey. Stir and blend.
Bonus: The fresh turmeric isn’t the only complexion-curing ingredient in this beautifying beverage. Cinnamon helps to increase blood circulation, giving you that gorgeous just-out-of-a-facial glow. The cardamom is an antioxidant that works to promote healthier skin. Enjoy this delicious drink hot or cold.
What skincare recipes do you swear by to improve your skin? Share your favorites in the comment section below!