Get in the Halloween Spirit With These Drool-Worthy Avocado Zombie Bars
With fall approaching faster than you can say goodbye to summer, I’m already thinking about this year’s Halloween costume. Halloween isn’t complete without a proper party, and what better way to treat your guests than to give them delicious sweets! Since Halloween parties tend to be candy-packed soirees, I created a way to beat the sugar high with these healthy, Whole30, raw vegan avocado bars. They’re packed with healthy ingredients so you get to reap all the beneficial treats — without any tricks :) Keep reading to see how it’s done.
makes 16 squares
for bottom layer:
— 1 cup Medjool dates (roughly 10, pitted)
— 1/2 cup raw almonds
— 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
— 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
for top layer:
— 2-3 medium avocados (about 3/4 cup)
— 4 Tablespoons agave nectar
— 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
— blender or food processor
— 8 x 8 inch brownie pan
1. Add all ingredients for bottom layer to blender or food processor. Blend until dates are smooth and nuts are in tiny pieces.
2. Pour contents into 8 x 8-inch brownie pan and, using hands, smooth out on bottom of pan.
3. Place pan in freezer while working on top layer.
4. Add avocados to a bowl and mash well with the back of a fork.
5. Rinse out blender or food processor and add all ingredients for top layer and blend until completely smooth.
6. Remove pan from freezer and pour on top of bottom layer in 8 x 8-inch pan and smooth out. Use knife or spatula to smooth out top.
7. Freeze 4-6 hours or overnight to set.
8. Leftovers keep in freezer. When ready to serve, let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. It’s best to not leave these sitting out for too long, since the top layer gets soft quickly!
Start by adding all of the ingredients for the bottom layer in a blender or food processor. Blend until the dates are smooth and the nuts are in tiny pieces. Pour into the bottom of 8 x 8-inch brownie pan and smooth out with your hands. Place the pan in the freezer while working on the top layer.
Cut open the avocado and put it into a small bowl. Mash well with the backside of a fork.
This will help get a smoother texture for the top layer.
Rinse out the blender or food processor and blend all the ingredients until completely smooth. Remove the pan from the freezer and pour on top of the bottom layer and even out with a knife or spatula.
That’s it! Pop in the freezer for 4-6 hours or overnight to set. To serve, let thaw out for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. It’s best to not leave these sitting out for too long, since the top layer gets soft quickly!
Try adding candy eyes to give these babies a monster flair!
Avocado in dessert makes for a smooth texture and tastes amazing with chocolate.
These taste so good, it’s hard to believe how healthy they are!
What other healthy desserts will you make for Halloween this year? Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!