17 Red, White and Blue Cocktails + Desserts for Your Election Results Viewing Party
It’s no secret that this has been one ugly election season. Your favorite celebrities have hit the campaign trail with their picks, and there’s been no shortage of emotional political ads along the way. It’s safe to say that everyone will breathe a collective sigh of relief when it’s all *finally* over on November 8. No matter which party you affiliate with, you have to agree on the historical nature of this election, which definitely calls for a fun celebration. Any decent party needs sweets and booze, and the good news is, we have both! Keep reading for 17 red, white and blue desserts and cocktails to make your election night party that much more enjoyable.
1. Berry Sorbet and Champagne Floats: The best way to whip up a batch of cocktails at the last minute is to use ingredients you already have in the house. If you have frozen berries, coconut water and Champagne, you’re ready to get poppin’. (via Sprinkled Side Up)
2. Festive Blue Cocktail: Leave it to Blue Curaçao to turn a simple cocktail bright cobalt. That, along with coconut rum and ginger ale, make the perfect drink for watching the votes roll in. (via Celebrations at Home)
3. Red, White and Blue Cake Batter Dip: Cake batter dip is essential for any party, not just of the birthday variety. Dress it up with red and blue star sprinkles to give it a patriotic touch. (via Sugar and Soul)
4. Election Cookies: Show off your best piping skills with these adorable political party cookies. Pro tip: Plan ahead and get the appropriate cookie cutters to save yourself some time. (via Brown Eyed Baker)
5. Red, White and Blue Piña Colada: No question, election results are stressful. Treat yourself to a tropical drink like this piña colada that’ll take you back to more relaxing times. (via Home Sweet Jones)
6. Fireworks Sugar Cookie Cake: Don’t get suckered into buying a pricey cookie cake from the mall for your party. They’re SO easy to make at home, and you can customize them yourself for way cheaper. (via Crazy for Crust)
8. Red, White, and Blue Cherry Cheesecake Macarons: Homemade macarons are impressive enough on their own. Doll them up as RW&B cherry cheesecake macarons and you’ve really outdone yourself. (via Baking a Moment)
10. Patriotic Berry Cocktail Float Drink: Whether you make these as a cocktail or mocktail, these floats are a total crowd pleaser. Pro tip: DIY an edible garnish by cutting out star-shaped slices of apple and stringing them on a skewer with berries. (via DIY Craft)
11. Patriotic Cocktail: Let’s be honest — election results coverage also often isn’t the most riveting. Make a drinking game out of the night by taking a sip of this concoction every time the network calls a state. (via Persnickety Plates)
13. Red, White and Blue Bars: These cookie bars are as easy as mixing a box of red velvet cake mix. If you want to get fancy, you can even get the candidates’ faces printed on custom M&M’s. (via Love from the Oven)
14. Red, White and Blue Mini Cupcakes: These mini treats are an easy way to show your patriotism without too much effort. Arrange them according to their icing color to create a drool-worthy American flag display. (via Two Sisters Crafting)
15. Sparkling Red, White and Blue Sangria: Any sangria that calls for Chardonnay and Champagne should definitely be voted president. Tap fresh berries for VP and you have one *epic* ticket. (via Gimme Some Oven)
16. Strawberry Cremosa Punch: What’s it called when you mix strawberries, strawberry vodka, half-and-half and whipped cream with fizzy club soda? This AH-mazing punch! Beware: It’s almost too good. (via Sarah Hearts)
17. Patriotic White Chocolate Popcorn: There’s no better nosh for TV watching than popcorn. This one is given the dessert treatment by adding melted white chocolate and red and blue M&M’s. Try packaging in festive containers for guest party favors. (via A Pumpkin and a Princess)
Follow us on Pinterest for more fun patriotic recipe ideas.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!