How to Hack Royal Icing, the Easy Way
For our ‘Grammable Holiday Cookie Guide, we’ve teamed up with cookie artist Ashley McNeal to help you create some of the prettiest cookies on the block! Get ready for serious inspiration, whether you’re a total cookie newbie or a next-level baker.
Royal icing recipes usually call for raw egg whites, but if you’re looking for a less-messy (and safer) shortcut, make our version, which relies on packaged meringue powder instead. Powdered sugar, meringue powder, and a little bit of corn syrup whip up into a fluffy marshmallow-tasting icing that hardens when it dries. This creates a delightful snap with every bite and also means your beautifully decorated cookies won’t smudge if you touch or transport them (unlike buttercream frosting). We like to use this recipe for almost all of our holiday cookies. Get inspired and grab a piping bag!
Royal Icing Recipe
(Makes ~5 cups of icing)
1. Sift all ingredients together into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add water and mix with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed. If it’s still too dry, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Mix on high for 3-5 minutes or until fluffy and white. The icing should have a shiny, bright white look to it. If you are piping the frosting, you may need to add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons meringue powder to form a stiffer icing. If you are flooding the cookies (AKA filling large areas of the cookie), you’ll want a runnier royal icing. In that case, add more warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time until a very loose icing forms.
4. If adding color, divide into various mixing bowls. Drop in gel food dyes of your choice, stirring with a spoon until no streaks remain.
Get more recipe inspo by visiting Brit + Co on Pinterest.
(Recipe via Ashley McNeal/Brit + Co; photos via Brittany Griffin/Brit + Co)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Still haven't taken up that new creative skills you swore you'd learn this year? Or ready to take your design skills to the next level? Let's say so long to the weirdest year ever by checking those big learn-something-new goals off our perpetual to-do lists.
We've teamed up with Clorox to give you the gift of unlimited creativity now through the end of the year. Once you sign up, you can take as many of our 120+ classes as you want for FREE for one whole month!
Here's how it works:
- Head to brit.co/learn and sign up for the "All Access Pass."
- Use the code "CLOROXCARES" at checkout to redeem your free month of classes.
- You will be automagically signed up for Clorox's email list once you redeem your free all access pass. (It's the #1 Choice for Disinfection!)
- Your pass lasts one month from when you checkout. This means you have unlimited access to all the classes during that month.
This offer is valid now through December 27, 2020.
Browse our catalog to find the right class for you, tell a friend and take the class together over Zoom, or organize a 'cocktails + crafts' night with a friend in your bubble so you can learn something new together.
What are you waiting for? Time to start learning all the things!
Thanks to Clorox for making this happen! When it counts, trust Clorox.