Is it just us or are all of our friends celebrating birthdays this past week?? Well, today an old friend is turning the big 4-0. Ye olde Rubik’s Cube! The block formerly known as the Hungarian Magic Cube is a timeless puzzle we will always have room for on our desk or in our childhood bedroom/parents’ basement. And if it’s chillin’ in a waiting room, you better step aside, tyke, that’s our toy to tinker with. From bringing it back to its “3D roots” to the pop star you’ll never guess is a Rubik’s Cube master, here are a few ways to celebrate the block’s big bday!
1. 3D Print Your Own Rubik’s Cube: Get this: The Rubik’s Cube was actually invented by Ernő Rubik to help his students at the Academy of Applied Arts and Crafts in Budapest understand 3D objects and space. Imagine if he had his hands on a MakerBot, he and his students totally would have been behind Shapeways’ cool cube projects.
2. Today’s Google Doodle: Spend some time on your lunch break trying to solve Google’s Doodle, an interactive 3D version of the addictive little puzzle.
3. Cake, obviously. You can’t celebrate a birthday without cake, that would be insane. Here’s a killer treat that pays respect to The Cube (and even has Ernő’s stamp of approval). We’re a big fan of the different-colored cake so you better believe this is next on our To Bake list. (via Stasty)
4. Learn to Solve It Yourself: Don’t let the above graphic freak you out. Find out how to solve the Rubik’s cube in only five simple moves. Don’t you wish this YouTube video was around when you were growing up?!
5. Give Yourself a Rubik’s Cube Mani: You could do this fun block mani in any palette, but we have a soft spot in our color-lovin’ hearts for the primary hues on the cube.
6. Watch Justin Bieber Solve One in Under Two Min: Add it to the list of Things You Didn’t Know About Justin Bieber but not the list of Things You Wish You Didn’t Know About Justin Bieber. Watching a 14-year-old Biebz solve the cube in under two minutes might even rekindle that old Beliebin’ feelin.
Are you a Rubik’s Cube whiz? Did you have one growing up? Share your tips and tricks below!