11 Sandwich Cake Recipes That Will Be the Talk of ALL Your Parties
Everyone has a favorite cake recipe that’s their go-to for get-togethers. Maybe yours is an eye-catching vertical layer cake, or a unique ice cream cone cake. Whatever your specialty, it’s likely a sweet confection — until now. Enter the Swedish-born invention that is the sandwich cake. The “cake” layers are made up of various breads, with fillings of vegetables, meat or seafood and savory cream cheese “icing” between each layer. Tea sandwiches are so last year — whip up one of these 11 sandwich cakes for your next party, and be prepared for your guests to be amazed.
1. Smörgåstårta: Swedish Sandwich Cake: This gorgeous cake would be a stunning main course for a brunch-themed party. Layers of smoked salmon, cucumber and egg are begging to be eaten with a spicy Bloody Mary. Use a cake pan to gauge the size and shape you want your cake to be. (via Pretty Prudent)
2. Swedish Sandwich Cake: Don’t feel like you have to go the traditional route and make a round cake. This loaf-shaped beauty shows that you can opt for a simple base with loads of delectable toppings. (via Gardens, Crafts N More)
3. Smörgåstårta: Show your artistic side and decorate your sandwich cake however you like. Let the whipped cream cheese frosting be your blank canvas, and take inspiration from your favorite confections or even the flowers in your garden. (via The Wren and Rabbit)
5. Amy’s Savory Sandwich Cake: Blanched asparagus adds an interesting texture to this savory cake, much like shards of chocolate would on a dessert cake. Simple carrot flower cut-outs adorn the top, with minced chive sprinkles to accent. (via Sumptuous Spoonfuls)
6. Avocado and Bacon Club Sandwich Cake: Rules are made to be broken. While this cake was inspired by the classic Scandinavian sandwich cake, the fillings definitely have more of an American vibe. Bacon, turkey and ham fill the inside, but you could easily customize it to mimic your favorite deli sandwich. (via The Kitchn)
7. Zucchini and Carrots Roses Tart: This may be cheating, but this savory work of art is too beautiful not to share. Instead of sweet fruit or chocolate, this recipe calls for a savory ricotta filling topped with gorgeous veggie rosettes. Make this tart, then use it as inspo for decorating your next sandwich cake. (via Buona Pappa)
8. Green Sandwich Cake: Green pea paste gives this masterpiece its cheerful color. Using vegetables like beets or greens can impart a unique hue that mimics the vibrant buttercreams of sweet cakes. Pink and black peppercorns can also serve as savory sprinkles. (via Goddess of Cake)
9. Smörgåstårta: The Swedish Sandwich Cake: Great things come in very small packages. These little guys would make a stunning centerpiece for a spring/summer wedding or baby shower. Each table could get their own little cake in lieu of platters of finger sandwiches. (via Ms Critique)
10. Smörgåstårta With Ham: This sandwich cake is *almost* too pretty to eat. It has a creamy filling made with ham, spreadable cheese and mayo, all pureed in the food processor. Top with chopped pickles and tiny quail eggs for an extra fancy touch. (via Zap*)
11. Savory Swedish Sandwich Cake: This rectangular sandwich cake looks like an organic work of art. Sprouts and hemp seeds give it a rustic feel, while zucchini flowers lend an elegant touch. (via Nourish Atelier)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)