18 Ways to Wear Pantone’s 2015 Color of the Year
Last week, leading color company Pantone announced their pick for the 2015 color of the year. The winner: Marsala, a ’70s (and also very ’90s) shade of red with a prominent brown undertone. This is definitely a very different pick from last year’s sunny, delicate choice of “Radiant Orchid.” There’s been much debate about Pantone’s pick, and while it might look a little off-putting at first, the warm, vampy color can actually look amazing when styled right. Here are 18 ways you can get a jump start on wearing the color of the year.
1. Ribbed Knitted Crop Top ($7): Embrace the ’90s grunge feel of Marsala with this long-sleeved crop top. Pair it with a beat-up denim jacket and some Doc Martens for fashion nirvana (see what I did there?).
Gilt for over $100 off the normal retail price. This oversized coat will feel more like a wearable blanket than a stuffy winter garment.
3. Tailored Ponte Trousers ($118): If grunge isn’t so much your style, rock the color in a totally classy way with these clean-cut tailored trousers.
4. Checkered Leggings ($14): Embrace the the shade with little bit help from this subtle checkered pattern. Sport these leggings around town or be the most fashionable gal in yoga class.
5. Leather iPad Mini 3 Case ($54+): Even your tech deserves to be dressed in the latest fashion. If somebody you know is being gifted a new tablet this holiday season, here’s the perfect companion present.
6. Winston Woven Watch ($100): A major selling point for marsala is that is can be used as a unique alternative to classic brown leather. Here’s a perfect way to try out the substitution.
7. Joa Tara Vegan Leather Skirt ($88): If the watch is too subtle of a pick for your leather swap out, try this full-bodied skirt made from vegan leather.
8. Suede Era Vans ($50): A pair of classic Vans get a makeover in this wine color. The unique shade had us interested, but the tribal accenting has us hooked.
9. Lace Swing Dress ($57): That holiday party just got a little more interesting. Be prepared for a compliment or two (or ten) in this high-collared swing dress.
10. Call It Spring Boots ($70): We’re slightly obsessing over these cozy winter boots. They’re definitely bound to make that eminent polar vortex a little more enjoyable (at least that’s what we’re telling ourselves).
11. Printed Sweatshirt ($47): We were already in love with this inspirational cozy top based on the saying alone. Throw in the fact that it’s a sweet velvety shade of marsala and it’s headed straight into our cart.
12. Shirt Dress ($70): Here’s a perfect winter dress that can be worn a million different ways. Throw a sweater on top for a cozy look or wear it with heels and a cool updo for a cocktail party.
13. Steve Madden Dreech ($90): Forget those boring black rain boots — stomping around in this sultry shade of red is sure to brighten up even the rainiest of days.
14. Office to Outing Bag ($60): Throw all your necessities into this versatile piece. If you’re feeling brave, rock it with one of the other pieces in this round up for a bold, on-trend, monochromatic look.
15. Crepe Ruffle Top ($53): Spruce up a simple, flowing blouse with a fun, off-shoulder sleeve. Pair this top with some dark wash jeans and ankle booties for a casual, chic happy hour get-up.
16. Volatile Booties ($70): These oh-so-luxurious velvet booties are the perfect way to embrace this color in an ultra-elegant manner. Slip these on with some sheer tights and a silky cocktail dress for a rockin’ New Years Eve outfit.
17. Keepsake Skinny Love Dress ($141): Throw this gorgeous piece on for a winter wedding or pop on a sweater and wear it to the office – the opportunities are endless.
18. Schutz Gilberta Heels ($170): Coming in at almost $200, these pumps definitely aren’t the cheapest buy out there, but you can wear them with almost anything: jeans, a pencil skirt, a lace dress, you name it. With the amount of wear you’ll get out of these babies, a splurge could definitely be justified.