15 Sparkling Drinks to Replace Your Fave Sugary Sodas
When the thirst is real, nothing satisfies like a sparkling drink. Unfortunately, that usually means a lot of sugar. As delicious as it is, soda leaves you even more dehydrated, and that sugar spike is killer during a late-afternoon work slump. Lose the sugar, but keep that bubbly feeling with a healthy version of soda made with sparkling water instead. We’re sharing 15 delicious homemade soda recipes using just a few fresh ingredients and minimal sweetener, so you can enjoy the fizz you crave without any of that artificial flavor.
1. Mint and Celery Soda: We’ll admit that celery wouldn’t be the first thing we’d think of for a soda alternative, but this delicious drink is slightly sweetened with a punch of lemon juice and fresh mint. Plus, it’s really good for you. (via The Bojon Gourmet)
2. Plum Rosemary Fizz: We’ve al been there: gotten a little carried away at the farmer’s market and left with a pile of over-ripe fruit. It’s time to mash it up into a fizzy, pulpy soda with a dash of herbal flavor. (via The Yellow House)
3. Blood Orange Italian Sodas: This traditional treat will be a hit with the whole family. You can’t help but fall in love with the deep color that layers beautifully with ice and sparkling water. For an extra special treat, add a dash of cream or coconut milk. (via The Blonde Chef)
4. Blueberry Mint Sparkler: Puree some fresh blueberries and mix the puree together with some freshly squeezed lemon juice, sparkling water and either a simple syrup or a natural sweetener like stevia to make a sugar-free version. (via Cookie Monster Cooking)
5. Tea Pop Three Ways: Teas are a fantastic option for making flavored syrups with only a few ingredients, and you can enjoy ’em sweetened or unsweetened. Start with these three amazing flavors —mango cherry, watermelon, and Shirley Temple — and then let your imagination go crazy inventing new combos. (via A Beautiful Mess)
6. Sparkling Grapefruit Lemonade: Everyone raves about the healthy effects of lemon water, so why not make a batch with sparkling water and a dash of sweet and sour grapefruit? (via Have Another Bite)
7. Strawberry Mojito: This light and refreshing drink is perfect any time of the year. To make the drink even more flavorful, try using flavored sparkling waters that don’t have any extra sugar in them. (via Homemade Interest)
8. Sparkling Ginger Turmeric: Turmeric apparently has a whole slew of health benefits. If you’re ready to try it, but aren’t sure what to do with it, try making this ginger lemonade that’s the ultimate health drink. (via Reclaiming Yesterday)
10. Pomegranate Ginger Spritzer: Make life super easy and make this bright drink with POM juice instead of crushing all those tiny seeds. This deep red drink is just perfect for the holiday season. (via Drizzle and Dip)
11. Watermelon Agua Fresca: There’s nothing quite as refreshing as ice-cold watermelon, but if watermelon isn’t your flavor, then swap it out for a different fruit. Strawberries, raspberries and honeydew will all work to make this tasty non-soda. (via What’s Gaby Cooking?)
13. Hibiscus Ginger Tea: There are two pros to making this drink: first, that color — yummy! Second, it’s super easy to make. Hibiscus tea is the perfect flavor to accent with ginger. Then top it all off with sparkling water. (via Taming of the Spoon)
Which of these “sodas” are you going to try first? Talk to us in the comments below!