Amid the pretty pastels and girly floral prints we’ve come to know (and fall hard for) every spring, there’s a fresh look trending this season that’s sporty, slick and a totally new take on tomboy, and it has everything to do with mesh. The athletic fabric wins MVP for giving wardrobe basics an air of effortless cool. But the best part? Any of these 18 mesh styles — from chunky fishnet sweaters to party shorts with micromesh inserts — can be worn with your fave pair of chic sneakers. Score!
1. Warehouse Lace Insert Shift Dress ($103): This ain’t your average mesh. Look closely: the triangle cutout pattern on the sleeves and hem of this shift dress are an unmistakably modern detail.
2. Asos Sweatshirt With Mesh Stripe ($48): Who knew sweatshirts could look THIS chic? Fine micromesh transforms this stripy pullover into an elegant wardrobe must-have.
3. Asos T-Shirt With Contrast Zip in Oversized Mesh ($33): We’re crushing hard on this playful take on a sports jersey (how cute are those rough cut cap sleeves?). In that pale duck egg blue, the mesh overlay actually looks dainty.
4. Noisy May Dress With Mesh Panels ($46): Sporty side panels keep this collared dress looking super fresh. Rock it with a bright bandeau top to bring attention to that fabulous net mesh.
5. Outlook Sweater ($78): An open knit sweater might be the easiest way to jump on the mesh trend. Toss it on over a tank and you’ve got the makings of the perfect spring outfit.
6. Asos Pencil Skirt With Mesh Overlay ($68): The pencil skirt gets an athletic makeover, and we’re all about it. If you ask us, it’s styled flawlessly here for a night out, with a silky cami and luxe ankle strap heels.
7. Reversible Big Mesh Tank ($29): True, this shiny mesh isn’t styled out as well as some of the other pieces on this roundup, but what it does bring to the table is color: a lovely sherbert hue on one side, and a bold fuchsia on the other. Dress it up with a statement necklace and dark wash skinny jeans.
8. Knit Mesh Hoodie ($25): This breezy hoodie just might be your new fave spring cover up, not to mention a workout gear go-to. Rock it over a striped maxi for a super beachy look.
9. Short Sleeve Mesh Polo Top ($72): Lots of us left the polo shirt behind with the rest of our high school uniform, but this knitted top is coaxing out our inner prep kid. Plus, that shade of mint is to die for.
10. Asos Curve Exclusive Stripe Top With Mesh Panel ($42): Breton stripes just got all kinds of sexy thanks to this micromesh yoke that even shows off those shoulders. Wear with a red lip to KILL IT!
11. AMBAR Women’s Pointe Skirt With Mesh ($25): Mesh in the workplace? Oh yes! Just wear this single panel skirt with a black blazer to look super pro.
13. Asos Petite Exclusive Mesh Insert Structured Top ($53) and Shorts ($53): What! A matching two-piece day suit? We’re straight up obsessed with this complete look. Seems you can’t go wrong mixing sporty micromesh with structured separates.
14. Mesh Overlay Dress ($58): This relaxed fit jersey dress is anything but boring thanks to its mesh midriff. It’s minimalist-inspired ready-to-wear at its finest.
15. Vitamin A Le Corbusier Mesh Inset Tunic ($165): If there’s one takeaway from this year’s red carpet style, it’s that you just can’t go wrong with a cape. Loosely draped mesh mimics the luxe look to make this tunic truly head-turning.
16. The Style Skirt With Mesh Insert ($42): The figure-flattering A-line skirt just got one heck of a sporty makeover — and we totally approve. The 360 degree mesh insert lightens up the usually fabric-heavy silhouette while giving it flirty flair.
17. Mesh Dress With Edging ($70): If Sporty Spice was to rock an LBD, this body con dress would be it. Rock with wedged sneakers to max out the new tomboy look.
18. Asos T-Shirt in Sequin Embellished Mesh ($27): Asos calls it a t-shirt, but we’re more inclined to use this sequined top as a trendy layer over a form-fitting dress or high waisted pants (plus a bralette, of course!). Now you’d actually wear it too, right? ;)
BONUSState of Being Checked Shift Dress ($82): You love the pattern that mesh provides, but the material is still too sporty for you, huh? Opt for garments with a checked print, like this shift dress — the grid pattern is still cool, modern and, lucky for you, popping up everywhere.
Will you be drafted into this season’s athletic trend? How do you see these mesh pieces fitting into your look? Tell us in the comments below.