13 Summer Style Essentials for Every Budget
We might be big fans of cashmere sweaters and perfectly pulled-together winter layers, but we can’t help but love the laid-back, carefree feel of summer style. Whether you’re hitting up a barbecue or chillin’ on the beach, it doesn’t take much to throw together a warm-weather look that’s totally on point. To give your much-loved warm-weather wardrobe a taste of 2015, we’re sharing some of our favorite must-haves for the season.
1. Throwback Swimsuit: Palm prints and high-waisted silhouettes are it for 2015, so go for a suit that combines the best of both worlds. Classic green palm leaves on this Gabi Fresh Paradise Found two-piece ($98) feel fresh and oh-so-appropriate for summer, while this We Are Handsome number ($318) boasts a timeless, but no less eye-catching aesthetic.
2. Button-Front Skirt: Can we talk about all the re-wear potential of these skirts? Come fall, just match up this baby with a pair of tights, rad ankle boots and your favorite knit, and you’re good to go. Get your denim fix with a casually cool Denim Button-Front Skirt ($59) — a grown-up twist on your denim mini from days of old — or up your game with a stunning Suede Button-Front Skirt ($140).
3. Espadrilles: Super comfortable and stylish to boot, the espadrille has been more or less been dubbed this summer’s standout shoe. We promise, once you get your feet in these rope-bottomed steppers, you’re not going to want to take them off. We’re partial to the classic canvas variety decked out with a funky print, like these Lime and Coconut Smoking Slippers ($65), for all our off-duty outings. To really turn some heads, a pair of shimmery Flirting Espadrilles ($288) are where it’s at.
4. Off-the-Shoulder Dress: Flirty, feminine and fuss-free, off-the-shoulder dresses are the perfect warm-weather frock. A boho interpretation ($62) of the fabulous piece is a must for everything from picnics in the park to festivals, while a romantic midi style ($158) should make it into your date-night repertoire.
5. Flatforms: One of our favorite fashion blasts from the past has to be the flatform. The cooler counterpart to the wedge is the ultimate stepper for girls with fashion-forward, contemporary style. Our favorite way to wear them? Pair a bright crisscross set ($50) with culottes and an oversized mesh top for a sports-luxe vibe, or throw on a pencil skirt, short-sleeve button-down and a sleeveless blazer with golden loafer-inspired flatforms ($238) for a chic getup with modern edge.
6. Striped Maxi Dress: A maxi dress is like a white tee or a pair of jeans — you just gotta have one. Stripes are one of those prints that never go out of style, and long vertical lines are universally flattering. If you’re looking to fill in a few gaps in the dress category of your closet, a Striped Tasseled Halter Dress ($95) isn’t a bad bet. Of course, if upgrading your essentials is on your to-do list, then this Avina Silk Jumper ($279) — part maxi, part romper — is the piece you need.
7. Straw Tote Bag: Trade out your go-to carry-all this season for a straw bag that multitasks like a boss. Look to structured totes with graphic patterns ($50) or brightly colored sacs ($138) with intriguing add-ons to take you from the beach to the boardroom in style.
8. Printed Romper: For the those days when you’re short on time or you just can’t even, a romper is your best friend. A playsuit ($82) with a plunging neckline is the ideal no-fuss outfit for a night out, while a playful georgette romper ($198) is just begging to be taken to the beach.
9. Fabulous Floppy Hat: Channel your inner diva with an oversized floppy hat that just screams glam. The bigger the brim, the greater your poolside swagger. This Dramatic Floppy Sunhat ($49) knocks it out of the park, while this sassy Do Not Disturb ($435) topper will make sure that beachside nap goes uninterrupted.
10. High-Waisted Shorts: From swimsuits to shorts, high-waisted pieces have been gaining some major sartorial ground lately. If your stock of leg-baring bottoms is in need of a pick-me-up, a pretty floral-printed pair ($60) or a bold carnival-inspired set ($281) are just what the stylist ordered.
11. Metal Bar Shades: Protecting those peepers should be one of your #1 priorities this summer. If you’re the type who constantly loses her shades, stick with an affordable set that packs a major punch, like these Rounded Sunglasses With a Metal High Bar ($22). Or if you’re looking to invest in a pair that just get better with time, these Dior Mirrored Two-Tone Aviator Sunglasses ($435) are dreamy.
12. Gladiator Sandals: The age-old gladiator style has major staying power and pairs perfectly with everything from a simple tank and shorts to flirty, feminine dresses. An understated lace-up pair ($68) will allow you a bit of flexibility with your look, while a set of structured wedge sandals ($430) are fabulous enough to make even those of the ancient fashion set totally jeals.
13. Sleek Cuff: Take a tip from the runway this summer by completing your lightweight getups with sleek, modern cuffs that add a subtle, tough-girl edge. Opt for styles with one-of-a-kind qualities, like cutouts and negative space ($7) or chain accents ($315) that will introduce dramatic appeal to any outfit.
What pieces are on your summer must-have list? Tell us in the comments!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.