At a native Utahn, I have a lot of hometown pride when it comes to the Sundance Film Festival. In anticipation of this year’s festival, I’ve taken a look back at some of my favorite Sundance movies for style inspiration. Let’s start with the 90s coming of age comedy, Welcome to the Dollhouse. Everyone might hate Dawn Weiner, but I think the girl’s got a Tavi-esque style that, with a little tweaking, makes for a pretty killer look.
1. JF & SON Acid Floral Half Top: Let’s take the spirit of Dawn’s ugly tee and elevate it with this bold, floral JF & SON top. Graphic prints were all over the Spring 2012 runway and contrary to popular belief, a bare midriff is not required for a crop top. They look great layered on top of a button down like this chambray number from Madewell. I also recommend following the JF & SON Tumblr for the inside track on sales, and to follow their cool extracurricular projects like this collaboration with an order of nuns.
2. Crane Brass Bicycle Bell: No need to be shy! Make yourself heard in the crowd with a shiny, new bicycle bell. And to get inspired about biking, check out photographer Bridget Fleming’s project Downtownfrombehind.
3. DV by Dolce Vita Paloma Wedge – Sneaks are a great casual option, but you might be surprised how much you can do in a wedge heel (like ride a bike!). They add height and length without making it impossible to get around — and flashing a little ankle with cropped pants is always fun. Zappo’s (http://www.zappos.com/) extensive selection and generous return policy makes it one of my favorite places to browse for shoes. I’ll often order a couple pairs I’m deciding between and just keep my favorite pair.
4. Marni Friendship Bracelet: Even social outcasts like our little “Weiner Dog” deserve a friendship bracelet or two. Treat yourself to the original Marni bangle, now 70% off on theOutnet, or make your own with this tutorial from perennial DIY fave P.S. I Made This.
5. J. Crew Cafe Capri: I’m going to draw a line in the sand here – sweatpants should not be worn outside of the house. Ever. A pair of loose fit trousers with a silk lining can be just as comfy, and a bright pop of color will help get you through the dreary gray days of January and February. If you’re feeling a little timid, scour the sale sections of your favorite retailers, like I did in this case with J. Crew, and choose a pair that won’t break the bank.
6. Carita Vintage Glasses: Being a “four-eyes” was the worst as a kid. Trust me, I feel Dawn on this one. Cut to now and glasses are a must-have fashion accessory. I have a couple of pairs that I like to trade in and out depending on my outfit. For a unique look, browse Etsy or eBay for cheap frames and have them filled at your local Lenscrafters.
7. Ban.do Mini Pom Poms: Could there be a Dawn Weiner without the bubble hair tie? No way! For a grown up take on the hair tie and all sorts of other favorite childhood accessories head over to Ban.do. They make pom poms, sequins, and crystals sophisticated.
Check back over the next couple days as I take a look at other films of Sundance past.
Courtney Lewis is a partner at Hard Candy Shell, an agency that has helped companies like Rent the Runway, Jetsetter, and Of a Kind build enticing digital presences, and writes a blog called Heart Explosion.