This Makeup Artist Transforms Men With No-Makeup Makeup
For many of us amateur makeup mavens, we learned all we know about makeup from YouTube beauty gurus. While we were trying out that baking technique, experimenting with cat eye or even unintentionally clown-contouring, many times it was done with the guidance of some beauty vlogger video. UK-based makeup artist, Jake-Jamie Ward, or The Beauty Boy as he’s known on YouTube, is somewhat of a newcomer in the vlogger-verse, but he’s already poised to be a rockstar. He joined the site in September of last year and has already accrued almost 5000 subscribers and earning features in the likes of Cosmopolitan and DailyMail.
Just why is he so outrageously popular, you ask? Because The Beauty Boy has honed and perfected totally natural-looking, no-makeup makeup for men. Yup, over 72 percent of his viewers are fellas. Makeup has too long been considered a girl thing, but Jake-Jamie is further opening up that world to men. We chatted with the artist and he gave us his list of top tips on how to achieve that flawless #iwokeuplikethis look that everyone can use!
1. Prep the skin: “To create a glowing complexion, the skin needs to be hydrated. Foundation will never look natural, if it clings to all your dry patches,” Jake-Jamie tells us. His two favorite moisturizers are Embroylisse Lait-Crème Concentré ($28) and Charlotte Tilbury’s Magic Cream ($100). “Trust me, these two products will change your life!” he swears.
2. Use a damp sponge: “Apply your foundation with a damp sponge,” he tells Brit + Co. This will help you create a dewier, more natural skin texture. Jake-Jamie prefers the RealTechnique’s Miracle Complexion Sponge ($6) He says, “I think this is EVEN better than the Beauty Blender. Honestly, this sponge changes makeup application as we know it creating a base that just screams perfection!”
3. Build foundation in layers: Rather than buying different types of foundation, Jake-Jamie advises going with a full coverage one and using it in multiple ways. On good skin days, you can mix foundation with moisturizer for sheer coverage. On bad skin days, however, layer the product thinly until it builds up to where you need it to be. “Most people think of full coverage as thick, caky and completely detectable on the skin — I disagree. It’s all in the application.” His “all time favorite foundation” is Estée Lauder’s Double Wear Foundation ($38), but also likes bareMinerals Matte Foundation ($28).
4. Apply bronzer sparingly: One key element to natural looking makeup is bronzer. But, with a light touch. “Don’t apply bronzer all over you’re face, just to area’s were the sun would naturally hit,” he tells us. Both Charlotte Tilbury’s Bronze & Glow palette ($68) on the left and MAC’s Bronzing Powder in Matte ($26) on the right have made cameos in his vids.
5. Leave agap: This is probably one of the best-kept secrets to achieving that no-makeup look. “Avoid using under eye concealer too close to the lash line, this really emphasizes the fact you are wearing makeup,” he advises. That makes total sense, because generally when you’re having a tête-à-tête with someone, they’re looking at your face right around the eyes. Keep that area clean for a bare-faced illusion. He’s used Estée Lauder’s Double Wear Concealer ($24) and Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage ($34) in a couple of his videos.
Check out one of makeup tutorials below.
What do you think of Jake’s videos? Did you learn anything? Tell us in the comments below!
(Photos via @makeupbyjakejamie)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)