The BritList: Polaroid Cheese Slicer, Dressing Up Like Beyonce, and More
Can you believe that January is over?! How are those resolutions coming along? Still bummed about the 49ers not making it to the big game? Well, whatever your current state of being is we know one thing for sure: there is something weird, beautiful, or innovative on this list just for you. Enjoy!
1. A Typographic Treatment of Ira Glass’ Iconic Quote: We’re big fans of Ira Glass’ words on Storytelling, and we’ve actually seen a video treatment of his iconic discussion of “the gap” when it comes to creative work before. This is another beautiful piece of animated typography, and reminds us to keep going even when the creative going gets tough.
2. Pencil Sharpenings and Popcorn: Who knew how many forms a piece of popcorn or a pencil sharpening could take on? Artist Victor Nunes certainly knew, and takes on rubber bands, walnuts, pecans, cashews, and all sorts of everyday objects in this playful drawing series.
3. Say Cheese Instant Slicer ($10): It’s a cheese slicer that looks like an old school Polaroid camera. What more is there to know?
4. Family Takes the Same Photo for 20 Years: Now this is a project that takes some serious planning and commitment, and we’re super into it. Maybe the brand new babies of Brit + Co. should tell their parents about this.
5. Egg Rugg ($60): When it comes to egg love, we don’t yolk around. PS Your dad called, he wants his pun back ;)
6. emPOWERED Charging Purse ($149): Like Everpurse, this brand new charging purse is an on-the-go power booster for your mobile devices. The internal charging cable connects to both types of iPhone charger as well as micro USB. It’s big enough to be your go-to bag and includes a removable strap. Love it.
7. Thoughts about Making Things and the Internet: Hear, hear Adam Kurtz!
8. Dressing Up Like Beyonce: This amazing set of photos is from a story a journalist at Elle did about dressing up like Beyonce for one day. Definitely worth a read.
9. Bra Clasp Unhooks for True Love: In the land of weird, we’ve got a bra that unhooks based on a built-in heart rate monitor and magical algorithms that detect true love. So strange.
10. Shop Dandy Pillows ($28): We featured one of these pillows the other day, but couldn’t resist sharing the whole collection. #yolo
12. Nesting Twitter: You thought you were into Twitter? Not even close. This Kickstarter project wants to tell the story of Twitter by creating a set of nesting dolls that illustrates Twitter’s growth by nesting its founders inside one another. Just chew on that concept for a little while and call us in the morning. Err… tweet us in the morning ;)
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.