The BritList: Polaroid Cheese Slicer, Dressing Up Like Beyonce, and More
Can you believe that January is over?! How are those resolutions coming along? Still bummed about the 49ers not making it to the big game? Well, whatever your current state of being is we know one thing for sure: there is something weird, beautiful, or innovative on this list just for you. Enjoy!
1. A Typographic Treatment of Ira Glass’ Iconic Quote: We’re big fans of Ira Glass’ words on Storytelling, and we’ve actually seen a video treatment of his iconic discussion of “the gap” when it comes to creative work before. This is another beautiful piece of animated typography, and reminds us to keep going even when the creative going gets tough.
2. Pencil Sharpenings and Popcorn: Who knew how many forms a piece of popcorn or a pencil sharpening could take on? Artist Victor Nunes certainly knew, and takes on rubber bands, walnuts, pecans, cashews, and all sorts of everyday objects in this playful drawing series.
3. Say Cheese Instant Slicer ($10): It’s a cheese slicer that looks like an old school Polaroid camera. What more is there to know?
4. Family Takes the Same Photo for 20 Years: Now this is a project that takes some serious planning and commitment, and we’re super into it. Maybe the brand new babies of Brit + Co. should tell their parents about this.
5. Egg Rugg ($60): When it comes to egg love, we don’t yolk around. PS Your dad called, he wants his pun back ;)
6. emPOWERED Charging Purse ($149): Like Everpurse, this brand new charging purse is an on-the-go power booster for your mobile devices. The internal charging cable connects to both types of iPhone charger as well as micro USB. It’s big enough to be your go-to bag and includes a removable strap. Love it.
7. Thoughts about Making Things and the Internet: Hear, hear Adam Kurtz!
8. Dressing Up Like Beyonce: This amazing set of photos is from a story a journalist at Elle did about dressing up like Beyonce for one day. Definitely worth a read.
9. Bra Clasp Unhooks for True Love: In the land of weird, we’ve got a bra that unhooks based on a built-in heart rate monitor and magical algorithms that detect true love. So strange.
10. Shop Dandy Pillows ($28): We featured one of these pillows the other day, but couldn’t resist sharing the whole collection. #yolo
12. Nesting Twitter: You thought you were into Twitter? Not even close. This Kickstarter project wants to tell the story of Twitter by creating a set of nesting dolls that illustrates Twitter’s growth by nesting its founders inside one another. Just chew on that concept for a little while and call us in the morning. Err… tweet us in the morning ;)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.